Bulbs Blowing

Audrey03

Got this A6 and yes it's 2003 but why are all the bulbs blowing one by one? I've done both low beam, one full beam a brake light and now and indicator. Luckily I'm sat outside Halfords. Any ideas from seasoned Audi-istas??

Hello Chris,

There are a couple of things to go through here:- 

Have you had the actual operating voltage checked in this car?  It should charge at around 14volts, but may just be putting in a higher voltage if the alternator/regulator is at fault. Of course, voltage much higher than 12v will adversely affect the bulb life.

When you replace the bulbs, what quality replacements are you using? Some can be of very dubious quality and just don't last long. If the voltage is within reasonable limits then it might be worth investing a bit more by buying bulbs from VAG dealers.

Fuses would really only be worth looking at if the lights don't work when the bulbs are known to be serviceable. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Yep it's bang on 14.2 v when running. I've replaced the gone bulbs with either Osram or Bosch. Either the bulbs are all similar age and starting to go or bad luck or a 're wore is looming. Nompun intended!

Right then Chris,

The answer isn't there then! If it were mine, I would now be monitoring the life of these new bulbs and see how they last. 

Now, did I read somewhere where quality makes (such as Osram?) were being faked,  and were available on the Interweb at supposedly cheap and attractive prices?  Might be worth simply getting any other ones direct from VAG dealer? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hmmm I have heard if the fake bulbs but these were bought over the counter in Euro parts and Halfords so no fakes.

I'm wondering if one bulb went and then another blew because I mishandled them somehow? Anyway I have Bosch and Osram spares so let's see how these last. No further blows yet.

14 minutes ago, Audrey03 said:

Hmmm I have heard if the fake bulbs but these were bought over the counter in Euro parts and Halfords so no fakes.

I'm wondering if one bulb went and then another blew because I mishandled them somehow? Anyway I have Bosch and Osram spares so let's see how these last. No further blows yet.

Let's hope no more of them blow :) glad you're liking your a6 :)