Sat Nav activation

BeardedTit74

Hi, sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere. I cans ee other topics sat nav related but i need advice on something more specific.

I am picking up my 2014 A3 in a couple of days and need to activate the sat nav. I understand I need an sd card initially so would appreciate if someone could give me a link to get the correct one as there are a few different ones on eBay. Secondly do I have to go to Audi to get it activated? I would prefer not having to pay the £500 or so and have tried some good local independent garages but they all say they can;t do it. I know I can use an after market Tom Tom or similar but I really would prefer the built in Audi one. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Cheers.

Hi, I looked into doing the same thing for my son's A1 TDI Sline and came 

across the same issue. It needs to go to Audi to plug it in and connect to Germany at a cost of £500. I bought him a TOM TOM. Sorry.

Hi David, Mark is right on this one. Your a3 will need to have the satnav activated by Audi and Mark is right about the price! 

Truthfully I find modern smartphone satnavs far better than any normal satnav and they are updated regularly and for free! 

Sorry we can't help more.

Cheers

Steve

Hi, the Google maps are very good but only work if you have an active Audi Connect account. Just had mine reset for free by audi customer services but it did take 3 phone calls and 4 wks!. You can select google earth view from within map view in settings.

Good luck

Thanks Mark, I have just been on the Audi Connect website and it says that one of the things I need to open an account is MMI Navigation plus. How will I know if I have this on my car? Its an A3 S Line 2.0 TDI 2015 model.

Hi David, Audi connect is in the menu of the MMI. When my car was supplied new it had 3 months free access before I got the message license expired. I called Audi who told me that they had not worked out a price strategy yet and gave me 12 months free and again this year when it expired again. 

Audi connect allows you to go online via an e-sim built into the car. I am not sure when this was introduced into the A3 model range. When you go into the car menu it is an option that I can select and there is also an Audi MMI app for iphone and andriod which has features like notifying your phone where you parked and how to navigate back to the car should you forget. You can also get internet radio etc.  Try downloading the app. From memory you also need your VIN number from the logbook or windscreen and a PIN number which I think you get from Audi. In all honesty I only use it to overlay Google earth into the Nav which is great as you basically have a satellite view with the roads super imposed on top.

Good luck