AMI Problems

rb15

Helllooooo... Wondering if someone can help as i seem to be getting nowhere with my local Audi garage.. 

We bought the black edition purely as its petrol (seem petrol is rare down our way)and for the banging B&O system as we love our music. In our car however theres a wired AMI connection in the glove box and its driving us crazy.. To cut a long story short we use the iphone cable for the music but we see problems every single day and sometimes it doesnt work at all. The issues vary from not recognising a cable or device at all, to freezing. Over the months we have gone through various genuine audi AMI iphone cables, and settled on an iphone extension lead as to take the pressure of the audi cable as i suspected at first the constant wear and tear was causing the problem. This works but we still have the problems regardless of using this extension to the genuine audi cable directly. 

Seeing as Audi have had the car for a whole day and not found a fault they are now leaning on the outcome that as the car gets older and the phones get newer, compatibility will drop and there isnt anything they can do grrrr..

So this leads me to my real questions from some audi experts...

1) IF we upgrade to an aftermarket head unit what happens to the high screen in the dash, will we lose this? 

2) if we upgrade to an aftermarket head unit with say Apple Car Play functionality, how does this effect the high screen in terms of displaying the vehicle graphics such as parking sensors, heating controls, general menus for adjusting car settings etc?

3) I have considered adding a bluetooth receiver to the USB AMI cable to eliminate the physical connection all together, can anyone confirm this is a good idea bearing in mind the car uses bluetooth for the phone?

Really hope someone has some good ideas!

13 hours ago, niedzial1983 said:

Tune2air would be a good idea to add to stream music.

Thank you for the suggestion, i have actually been considering this bluetooth adaptor, im just unsure on whether or not it will work in tandem with bluetooth for the phone, and also whether or not the controls in the car will work on the steering wheel and headunit etc?

2 hours ago, rb15 said:

Thank you for the suggestion, i have actually been considering this bluetooth adaptor, im just unsure on whether or not it will work in tandem with bluetooth for the phone, and also whether or not the controls in the car will work on the steering wheel and headunit etc?

Controls should work as you controll ami  , phone is just a sound source 

You can only have 1 device connected at the time so its either ami or hands free 

Hi thanks again, I have been reading that most phones will handle more than one Bluetooth connection and will automatically engage the car phone Bluetooth when a call comes in and mutes the audio over the ami ?