Breakdown cover - recommendations.

Magnet

Having just received our AA renewal and notice it's gone up by a fair amount ( the bank's discount no longer applies), I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for other breakdown cover.

We have two cars which need cover - the oldest now being 15 years old - and I doubt if it's going to be economical to add breakdown to each insurance, so I'm looking for a blanket cover which would cover my wife and myself with whatever car we were in at the time. Recovery would be essential, since I wouldn't want the cars being at the mercy of garages outside of my area. 

It would be great to have some competitive recommendations and ideas of the costs to cover the above. 

Many thanks in anticipation.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

I have Green Flag joint personal membership - this covers me and the Mrs in any vehicle that is not on hire to me or that we are not paying passengers on. Primary car is part of membership. I have Home and Roadside cover with recovery included and pay a little over 106£

Have used it in the past for both me and the mrs and cannot fault them - they do use 3rd Party Service agents but they have always got me home or at least to a garage of my choice. 

• Like 1

Hi Tom

I use Autoaid for my breakdown recovery.

It is like an insurance policy. When you breakdown you call them and the organise for local breakdown recovery vehicle to come a pick you up.

They then claim the cost back off of Autoaid.

This year it has cost me £42.00, this cover myself and my wife.  You are covered not the car.

Used it twice and never had a problem. 

• Like 1

I can highly recommend Asda Breakdown cover (through Green Flag I believe) and only called them out a couple of times but absolutely superb service and not too expensive either.

Also have cover my MX5 (Mk1) on it and the Motorbike as well....all have European travel cover as well...all for less than £200 a year

On 20/02/2018 at 8:05 PM, Southampton Graham said:

Hi Tom

I use Autoaid for my breakdown recovery.

It is like an insurance policy. When you breakdown you call them and the organise for local breakdown recovery vehicle to come a pick you up.

They then claim the cost back off of Autoaid.

This year it has cost me £42.00, this cover myself and my wife.  You are covered not the car.

Used it twice and never had a problem. 

that is a good price just been on their site and £43 is nothing for piece of mind for the year

Hello folks,

Many thanks for the helpful recommendations. Not wanting to go with a pay and reclaim cover, I tried Green Flag, and a nice lady sorted out roadside assistance and recovery for the good lady and myself for any car we are in - for just over £80. That is less than half the price the AA wanted for the same level of cover.

AA??

Well after hanging on the phone over more than 10mins. trying to get through to their renewals department I gave up - there is only so much of "Swing low sweet chariot" you can put up with! Alternative number dealing with 'making sure you do not have dupliate cover' which I do because the bank gives me 'free' roadside , but the AA now recharge me for if I want the previously added-on recovery. 'Sorry about your wait, I'll put you through to Renewals' - well he did, but I gave up again after another 10mins. plus. Piano music this time! 

Well done AA!

Many thanks again and kind regards,

Gareth.

• 4 weeks later...

The AA and RAC always have introductory offers for new customers. Their renewal prices are ridiculous but if you can get through to them and haggle then you can lower those prices. What I do is alternate between both companies. Every yer as one comes to an end I go to the other and take up their introductory rates. I also use Topcashback or Quidco and end up receiving another £30 or so in cashback after a while. You gotta be savvy with these companies. They don't reward you for loyalty anymore. If anything they penalise you for being loyal.

Thanks Alal, but if you see my second paragraph you will see I couldn't even begin!  to haggle with the AA. Savvy - yes, had many years at that! 

I've now realised that Southampton Graham's Autoaid is no longer the pay and reclaim organisation I thought it was, so this seems to be an unbeatable deal. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.