DreamingofanRS6

Remapping.....worth it or not?

Recommended Posts

Hi all, 

 

Just after some advice or experiences of people having their Audi remapped...ive just purchased an A4 Avant Quattro (170bhp) and I am thinking of getting the remap done. Is it worth doing?

Thanks in advance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I have the same question so I'll be watching this... 

I've had a quote from "Celtic Tuning".  A 30% increase in both HP and torque seems too good to be true with no uprated components for £295 all in (and they come to you!).

170BHP -->  227BHP

359Nm --> 421Nm

https://www.celtictuning.co.uk/component/ctvc/audi/a4-b8-2008-2014/diesel/2-0-tdi-cr-170-bhp-2008-2014-ECU-remap-chiptuning/stage-1?year=2012#t3-content

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Huskie said:

I have the same question so I'll be watching this... 

I've had a quote from "Celtic Tuning".  A 30% increase in both HP and torque seems too good to be true with no uprated components for £295 all in (and they come to you!).

170BHP -->  227BHP

359Nm --> 421Nm

https://www.celtictuning.co.uk/component/ctvc/audi/a4-b8-2008-2014/diesel/2-0-tdi-cr-170-bhp-2008-2014-ECU-remap-chiptuning/stage-1?year=2012#t3-content

 

Thats quite decent return to be fair. I' also interested in the increased fuel efficiency. Thanks for the link, may contact them once I pick up the car. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most people who have a remap carried out would recommend one but I can't say I've personally done it. Obviously bhp and torque are increased but not always mpg. In theory it should as the new map should smoothen out the torque curve etc. 

Also the remap could be better improved if you combine it with uprated induction kits or exhausts. 

It's also key that the car is in good health before you carry out a remap as you will be putting more strain on the engine and potentially the gearbox if it's an auto. 

If you do have it done and you get called for the emissions recall then do r have the recall done as Audi will wipe your upgraded map. This also goes for software updates which Audi will often do if required when your car goes in for a service or other work. 

The reason why I've not had a remap is: 

1. My a6 is on 328k 

2. Despite the fact I could go from 150bhp to 180bhp with a remap the fuel pump my a6 has probably wouldn't be able to cope whereas later a6 models (2004-2005 c5) had a uprated fuel pump as standard. 

Hope I've helped :) 

Cheers

Steve

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 17/04/2018 at 9:06 AM, Steve Q said:

Most people who have a remap carried out would recommend one but I can't say I've personally done it. Obviously bhp and torque are increased but not always mpg. In theory it should as the new map should smoothen out the torque curve etc. 

Also the remap could be better improved if you combine it with uprated induction kits or exhausts. 

It's also key that the car is in good health before you carry out a remap as you will be putting more strain on the engine and potentially the gearbox if it's an auto. 

If you do have it done and you get called for the emissions recall then do r have the recall done as Audi will wipe your upgraded map. This also goes for software updates which Audi will often do if required when your car goes in for a service or other work. 

The reason why I've not had a remap is: 

1. My a6 is on 328k 

2. Despite the fact I could go from 150bhp to 180bhp with a remap the fuel pump my a6 has probably wouldn't be able to cope whereas later a6 models (2004-2005 c5) had a uprated fuel pump as standard. 

Hope I've helped :) 

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve, thats a great bit of advice. I love that you have 328k on the clock. You clearly love your A6! 

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2018 at 9:15 AM, DreamingofanRS6 said:

 

Thanks Steve, thats a great bit of advice. I love that you have 328k on the clock. You clearly love your A6! 

👍

You're welcome, glad I could help :) 

And I certainly do! It's part of the family now! ;) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would also suggest thinking before about insurance - I found a lot of insurers wouldn’t touch as it’s a modification, so you end up with a very small pond of specialist insurers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I go along with James' advice of always checking with your insurers before doing anything such thing- it could otherwise result in a serious monetary discontent, or indeed a straight refusal to even quote. 

Extra power is fine, but if I was seriously considering having a car remapped, then I would make sure that the air filter, fuel filter, oil and oil filters are all renewed beforehand with good quality components. Otherwise it's a bit like buying and wearing a posh new suit and having ragged underpants! 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now