body part painting enqiry

Mar4ix

Hi folks, i have audi A3 8P1 , thats 3 door model, and i have issues with some paint flaking off side top panel which is between the doors and rear window, i have attached picture to see what i talk about , sorry dont know what is proper name of it. 

would anyone advice how to paint it ? i assume thats aluminium part, does not look good. flaking both sides of the car. 

thanks.

viber_image_2020-02-03_18-01-49.jpg

thank You !

13 minutes ago, cliffcoggin said:

If it is definitely aluminium, (a magnet would reveal whether it is steel or not,) then you need to use an etch primer not an ordinary primer. After that ordinary car paint can be used.

Hello Maris,

It’s unusual for this panel to have deteriorated to this condition in such a relatively short space of time. Some deterioration is not unusual, but the extent and severity is. 

If the panel is aluminium as you suspect, then the essential paint base coat onto the bare aluminium would need to be an etch primer not an ordinary primer. This primer does what it suggests, and actually adheres to the bare aluminium by acid etching into the surface. Subsequent paint coats can be via conventional primers, followed by the requisite number of coats of satin black. 

Of course, this is not the time of the year to do painting unless you have a garage, and even then the panel should be warmed up with a hair dryer. Some skill is necessary to arrive at an acceptable finish. Preparation back to bare metal is essential, as is careful masking to avoid marking the glass and rubber during preparation. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Sorry Cliff for repeating your advice while writing my response. 

4 hours ago, Magnet said:

Sorry Cliff for repeating your advice while writing my response. 

I was going to be flippant and say great minds think alike, but actually I am glad to have confirmation that I'm not talking rubbish. I haven't done car paint repairs for a awful long time and I was never very good at it, particularly as I did not have a garage to keep dust and rain off. I have however painted a few railway carriages and can now get quite a decent finish with roller and brush. We use etch primer on aluminium panels very successfully.

• Like 1

Coach painting to the great finishes usually obtained - now that is an art Cliff. I’ve read quite a bit about it many years ago, but have never test my (lack of!) skill with it. 

Good on you for having done so. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks folks for replays. I dont have garage, so will have to wait for better weather conditions. 

@Magnet yea, i am surprised myself, ive got car in uk, with pretty high mileage. According maintinance dockets, car was doing 30-35k miles a year. I presume thats motorway, as car was in excelent condition, but later have found out that there is a lot spots has rust patches, fuel filter top cover nearly rust through, most clamps on rubber pipes are well rusty, i think car must be driving mostly sea coast  roads.

I dont have huge painting experience, just  some bit... Touch ups, bit of spray etc. I think ill be fine with this part as it does not reqires much work like other body parts. 

But didnt know about etch primer, as i have not painted aluminium before. 

After primer - satin black. That allright. I want car look like standart as much as possible. 

I wonder, is alloys also need fetch primer? I presume yes. Mine s-line alloys does indeed look bit worn. 

Hello Maris, 

Etch primer must always be used on non ferrous (non mild steel) metal, so yes, you should use it on alloy wheels. You can also use it on steel to achieve a better adhesion - but not essential. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, so some update on this.

Due all known circumstances stuck home for 5 days, workin only 2 days, so plenty time for everything, house, kids, and also for my audi. 

First few days had some time for other things , adjusted driver door window regulator, as few months back when i was changing , had to rush to finish, as rain started on half way.

Also aligned driver door.... dont know how good it is, but looks straight, had a chance drop in to motor factors, picked up some paint, so did side panels.

Not perfect, but sure, fairly acceptable for 12 years old  in mat finish.  

see pictures.

For some reason i cant arrange order the way pictures appears, but there is pictures with before work, preparing, sanding, primer with etch primer, and mat black paint and final result. still need to do some touch up, clean up. but looks good at the moment. 

viber_ima11.jpg

viber_image_1.jpg

viber_image_2.jpg

viber_image_20.jpg

viber_image_20q.jpg

viber_image_2020.jpg

viber_image_2020-0.jpg

viber_image_2020-04-10_16-51-00.jpg

viber_image_2020-04-10_16-51-001.jpg

viber_image_2020-04-10_16-51-03we.jpg

viber_image_2020-04-10_16-51-0111.jpg

viber_image_2020-04-10_16-52-20ff.jpg

viber_image_2020-04-10_16-52-20fff.jpg

viber_image_2020w.jpg

viber_image_202012.jpg

viber_imas.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mar4ix said:

Hi guys, so some update on this.

Due all known circumstances stuck home for 5 days, workin only 2 days, so plenty time for everything, house, kids, and also for my audi. 

First few days had some time for other things , adjusted driver door window regulator, as few months back when i was changing , had to rush to finish, as rain started on half way.

Also aligned driver door.... dont know how good it is, but looks straight, had a chance drop in to motor factors, picked up some paint, so did side panels.

Not perfect, but sure, fairly acceptable for 12 years old  in mat finish.  

see pictures.

For some reason i cant arrange order the way pictures appears, but there is pictures with before work, preparing, sanding, primer with etch primer, and mat black paint and final result. still need to do some touch up, clean up. but looks good at the moment. 

viber_ima11.jpg

viber_image_1.jpg

viber_image_2.jpg

viber_image_20.jpg

viber_image_20q.jpg

viber_image_2020.jpg

viber_image_2020-0.jpg

viber_image_2020-04-10_16-51-00.jpg

viber_image_2020-04-10_16-51-001.jpg

viber_image_2020-04-10_16-51-03we.jpg

viber_image_2020-04-10_16-51-0111.jpg

viber_image_2020-04-10_16-52-20ff.jpg