A6 c8 quattro slow start from the spot issue or not?

Hi guys I just replaced my c7 avant (manual) with c8 40 tdi quattro s tronic when I took the car for a test drive it felt like getting it off the line takes forever is that normal with auto gearbox? because setting off on busy roundabout can be very tricky 

That sounds strange for an s tronic. The gearbox is similar to be dsg abd is one of best autos out there. When was the gearbox oil last changed? 

Also if you bought it from a dealer within 30 days then you are entitled to a full refund or for them to rectify any issues FOC. 

• Like 1

Hi Steve I haven’t collected the car yet I’ve only had 10-15 min test drive it’s getting prepared for me now. All I know is it’s just over a year old and done 9500miles and had a health check at end of March. I have no experience with automatics so it’s hard for me to say (only tried it in dynamic mode) but there is definitely a short delay between when I floor it to when the car actually moves. Once start moving it’s pulling fine it’s just that short delay I’m worrying about I was expecting sort of wow effect from quattro. Thanks for any help/advise 

from driving older dsg/s tronic vag cars I don't remember this (was a good while ago though when I worked in the motor trade). Might be worth you driving another for comparison? At 9.5k miles the gearbox won't be due a service yet. 

Did you drive the car when warm?

I don’t get any lag at all when driving once warm. It can have a very slight delay during the first couple of mins in a morning, nothing that concerns me though.

Yes it was cold but on a warm day after 5-10 min it should be warm enough. From what I can see your is 2021 model (40 tdi quattro?) and I wonder if there is some sort of software update available that you had it from new and mine will need to get done. I looked online for owners with similar experience and found something about software updates but for 50 tdi and I think this has 8 speed tip tronic box but these guys had exactly the same “problem” and a new software helped them 

3 minutes ago, Mike2020 40 tdi quattro said:

Yes it was cold but on a warm day after 5-10 min it should be warm enough. From what I can see your is 2021 model (40 tdi quattro?) and I wonder if there is some sort of software update available that you had it from new and mine will need to get done. I looked online for owners with similar experience and found something about software updates but for 50 tdi and I think this has 8 speed tip tronic box but these guys had exactly the same “problem” and a new software helped them 

Could well be. I would definitely get it checked out and see if an update is available. As I said I don’t have any issues with mine albeit a newer car.

I’ve had a few VAG DSG and STronics previous to this and TBH this is probably the smoothest and least hesitant gearbox of the lot.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mike2020 40 tdi quattro said:

No updates available for my car. Had the car for 2 weeks now and 2 scary moments already setting off from the roundabout I think I will have to get used to this thanks for your help guys 

Have you tried the gearbox in sport mode / manual for comparison?

1 hour ago, Mike2020 40 tdi quattro said:

Tried in dynamic mode but not manual will try tomorrow 

Dynamic mode and sport mode are different systems.

Pull the gear lever down to engage sport mode. That will enable better gear changes / profile and the car will feel more urgent.  It will give you a better comparison against the normal gearbox setting.

i have mine in Dynamic mode, but engage Sport mode when I need to overtake quickly or pull out sharply.

• Like 1

Hello Michal,

Apologies, but I’ve only just picked up this thread, but iI had picked it up earlier, I would have suggested giving this purchase a good second coat of thinking about. Car a year old, and being sold - presumably at unbelievable depreciated loss - why?? Problems and dissatisfaction? Of course, the Covid restrictions may have delayed its sale as ‘an ex demonstrator’ type vehicle, but I would have wanted to know chapter and verse on it. 

Fast forward to now, and already ‘2 scary moments in 2 weeks’, and trying different modes and ‘think I’ll just have to get used to it’. I would consider you don’t have to do that in preference to following Steve’s route of rejecting the car if you have reasonable grounds to do so - and it sounds like you symptoms border safety implications.

If it were mine, I would be writing to the dealer principal (I take it you did buy it from a main dealer), and requesting you return the car for a full refund if they cannot sort it, but you are registering the fact that the rejection notice starts from the day of the letter - irrespective of how much  longer than 30 days it might take them to try to rectify the issue.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth maybe I put this wrong in my description of a “problem “ the car is lovely and drive beautifully and as I said before I had no experience with automatics before so I looked into it a bit deeper how these gearboxes actually work and preselecting gears and now I understand why this is happening. I just need to adapt my driving style to it, this car was probably designed for more relaxed driving style. It is definitely a keeper for me but thanks for your input 

• 2 months later...

I am having exactly the same problem with mine. My car is new with 1000 miles. My car is also the 40 tdi quattro. I have tried to reject my car under the 14 day right to refuse but the dealer has told me to go away as there is nothing wrong with the car (funnily enough). It is particularly bad when creeping up to a roundabout or junction at 1 -2 mph then try to accellerate, massive lag for a couple of seconds then goes off like a scalded cat. You can hear the engine load up and try to go but the car is being held back and only creeps off. I too have also almost been in a couple of accidents.

Buying my car has been the biggest mistake of my life

Will do another post regarding all my issues later

All the best

Graeme

Edited by G.Mac

Hello Graeme, 

Many thanks for being in touch with the forum, and sorry to hear of your understandable discontent.

If this were mine, I would be formally rejecting the car, after a sensible short time span to allow them to rectify the fault. 
It sounds like you may have been ‘informally’ attempting to reject it, via. a chat with ‘someone’ at the dealership. 
You really do need at take professional advice - CAB will assist, and possibly may draft a formal letter for you. This rejection should be initiated in writing to the dealer principal, and anyone else who has a financial interest in the car - without delay.

Not meaning to be personal Graeme, but this isn’t a cheap car! It sounds as if you possibly now need to spend some funds on good professional advice, otherwise you will be putting up with living with a super model who has a stroppy attitude! 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth.m

Morning Gareth

I did officially reject the car via the finance and dealership. The dealership has investigated and rejected my claim.

I gave them both keys and cancelled my insurance. Looks like I will need to go reinstate it

I quote .  "The alleged delay in acceleration is typical of a diesel car and is not a fault.

As there is no fault on the Vehicle we do not believe that a right to rejection arises and we must ask for you to collect the Vehicle within 7 days or we will have to start charging for storage."

Yes, looks like I will need to seek further advice as the gearbox the way it stands is dangerous IMHO. I have been told a gearbox remap will solve the issue to increase the operating control oil pressure to reduce the amount of clutch slip that is allowed but if I do this it will invalidate my warranty.

All the best

Graeme

On 9/17/2021 at 8:57 AM, G.Mac said:

Morning Gareth

I did officially reject the car via the finance and dealership. The dealership has investigated and rejected my claim.

I gave them both keys and cancelled my insurance. Looks like I will need to go reinstate it

I quote .  "The alleged delay in acceleration is typical of a diesel car and is not a fault.

As there is no fault on the Vehicle we do not believe that a right to rejection arises and we must ask for you to collect the Vehicle within 7 days or we will have to start charging for storage."

Yes, looks like I will need to seek further advice as the gearbox the way it stands is dangerous IMHO. I have been told a gearbox remap will solve the issue to increase the operating control oil pressure to reduce the amount of clutch slip that is allowed but if I do this it will invalidate my warranty.

All the best

Graeme

Hi I have never heard such a load of old Cr@p, I have a manual diesel model a 2.0tdi ultra and my friend has a year newer S Line same engine but his is DSG and I can tell you this for a fact my car is quick off the line but my mates one is even quicker, the torque comes in a lot quicker on a diesel from about 1,000 rpm round to  2,500 rpm which is the optimal curve.

Steve.

Well things get even better

Just at Ayr Audi to pick the car back up. I asked for the diagnostic reports to be told there aren't any. Get in the car and it is still at 1014 miles so they haven't even driven it either.

Currently on the phone with Audi UK. Next call is to the finance company before moving the car

Screenshot of the my audi app was taken when I dropped the car off just over 2 weeks ago and the photo was taken just now whilst sitting in the car

I feel a headache coming on

Graeme

Screenshot_20210907-141005_myAudi.jpg

IMG-20210923-WA0008.jpeg

Edited by G.Mac
attaching pictures

Hi thats alright its universaly known that most dealers consider that when the car is sold the owner will automatically have their surname changed by deed poll to Hunt, keep going the law trading standards are on your side keep a record of the discrepancies  between the milage and what they claim to have done, basically it boils down to the vehicle not being fit for purpose which when you are buying at that level should be a non event, I had it once with a nearly new Ford that I bought from the dealers it took a few months but by the time trading standards were hurling a ton of letters I got what I wanted which was a new engine, I would never buy another car from a main dealer again as from talking to owners of other brands the dealers are all the same.

Prime example one of my fellow cabbies bought his wife an approved used Nissan Juke from the local dealer with a full years warranty, six weeks later the automatic gearbox let go at 28k of which my mate owned 1k of milage the dealers agreed to put in a new box under warranty, so when he went to collect the car they told him the repair had come to.........£5000 which he did not have to pay but there was a small matter of £260.00 inc vat for consumables that were not covered by the warranty, my friend smiled politely and thanked them for fixing the car, then walked straight out with the keys, my point is these cretins will use any fairy story to get rid of a problem or just squeeze a last few quid out of the customer.

Steve.

• 3 weeks later...

I also hav an A6 Avant c8 40 tdi but no quattro and experience exactly the same thing- it is a known issue with this gearbox/ car and alot of the reviews of the car talk about it. It does nothing then suddenly the revs jump and the front wheels struggle for grip. It's not an issue with your car its an isue with all of them.