DSG S-Tronic Transmission Service

ninjag

I was looking at my service history which is all main dealer AUDI and noticed the multitronic unit was replaced almost at new. Not sure if that's a good or bad sign! lol

Later on, the physical paperwork I've got for the service at 36k miles (AUDI Aberdeen) shows no mention of the DSG fluid being changed only a BFC which I'm assuming is Brake Fluid Change. 

The next service is at AUDI in Dundee (same group though) with a mileage of 48k miles but I don't have any physical paperwork for this one. It does say that a recall 24DP -Fuel Rails was done but no mention of the DSG fluid. I've just rang them up and she has nothing on the system indicating that this fluid was done.

I would have thought it mandatory at a main dealer to follow the service schedule, but my gut and past experiences with main dealers tells me that it probably wasn't done. Does anyone reckon it was actually done because the transmission is smooth, a lot smoother than my previous ZF8 transmission but you would think if they note a brake fluid change then surely they would note a transmission fluid change!?

I suppose I should have asked what the charge was which may have revealed it, but I'm going to change the fluid in a few weeks anyway including the internal and external filter but it's a little worrying as I'm now at 60k miles. 

12 hours ago, craigarol@btinternet.com said:

Hi,

The service interval for s tronic gearboxes is 38,000. miles.

i.e. filter @ fluid change.

Brian.

Thanks, I know this hence my post.

On 7/9/2021 at 12:47 PM, Steve Q said:

Yes they would not a transmission fluid change. Did you buy it from a main dealer? If so you should ask them why it wasn't done. 

Sorry, I don't quite follow the start of your post? 

I didn't buy it from a main dealer, but having a full Audi service history I would have expected everything to be done properly. I can't see any options other than doing it myself and hoping for the best?

Hello Graham,

I guessed that since you are now looking into the car’s service history, the car is a recent purchase, and since it is now 6 year old, it’s highly unlikely that it would have been sold out of a main dealership. 
So called ‘full service history’ becomes the be all and end all ( with emphasis on the end all) consideration for many owners or potential owners, but the extent of that servicing can be controlled by the owner at the time the service is carried out. 
In your case, it wouldn’t surprise me if the owner/leaser at the time, simply decided not to spend on the fluid change, since the car was soon to be returned/sold. 
This might be where your answer lies, so it’s now a case of getting it done as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

Hello Graham,

I guessed that since you are now looking into the car’s service history, the car is a recent purchase, and since it is now 6 year old, it’s highly unlikely that it would have been sold out of a main dealership. 
So called ‘full service history’ becomes the be all and end all ( with emphasis on the end all) consideration for many owners or potential owners, but the extent of that servicing can be controlled by the owner at the time the service is carried out. 
In your case, it wouldn’t surprise me if the owner/leaser at the time, simply decided not to spend on the fluid change, since the car was soon to be returned/sold. 
This might be where your answer lies, so it’s now a case of getting it done as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks, I think you have just confirmed my fear. I put very little faith in main dealer fsh.

23 hours ago, ninjag said:

Thanks, I think you have just confirmed my fear. I put very little faith in main dealer fsh.

Come to think of it, can it be claimed to have a fsh if it's not been adhered to properly? 

If you interpret it as it is written then you could argue that the term FSH translates to all the servicing that has been carried out on the car has been recorded as a history of what has been done, and not necessarily that all the required servicing has been carried out. 
Not quite the same?? 

I've just checked my air filter (that was fun) and it might actually be the original judging from the condition of it. I'll add this to my list of things to be done. Main dealers strike again! Lol

I thought I'd see what Audi have to say about it all, I got the usual 'please contact us by pm" which I suspect is just for show, but I thought why not, nothing to lose. It appears it was just for show. Oh well. 

On the plus side, after cleaning out the air filter housing of what must be five years of debris, leaves, insects etc and using a hard brush on the filter itself, a low rev hesitate I sporadically got appears to have disappeared. Poor thing was desperate for air. 

Fast response by AUDI but alas no concern about the dealership and their poor practices. It's almost as if they condone it and what a shame to start my journey with AUDI like this.

Here's what they said, which is exactly what I had anyway told them! Lol

"Thank you for confirming this, Graham. We have looked into you vehicle details and can see no mention of the gearbox service been carried out, we have also spoken to our Technical Team who have confirmed your vehicle requires a gearbox service every 40k miles, this should have had this done at the 40k mark. Is there anything else we can help you with?"

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2021 at 10:16 AM, ninjag said:

Yep. I've just had my (to date Audi Main Dealer serviced) car serviced by my trusty local mechanic that i've used for many years. 

I was there with him as he carried out the service. The filters removed were absolutely disgusting. Full of what can only be years of crud. According to my service book, Audi 'serviced' the car last year and filters were changed. Absolute garbage. 

My mechanic was also convinced the fuel filter had never been changed. Ever. Despite what the service book said!

• Like 1

‘Full service history’ is almost always considered to be king - a must-have requirement in the belief that if it has this then it’s a sound vehicle. if it hasn’t, then don’t even consider buying it! 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi lets face it the dealerships have been having peoples pants down for years, they prey on the customers trust and lack of ability to check what has and has not been done, I can cite a fair few personal experiences with Ford and Vauxhall and if you trawl the net for any franchised dealers they all have pretty horrific records which is why I whole heartedly agree with Wazza, you are much better off with a little independent garage if you can't do it yourself.

You shouldn't have to ask a main dealer to change fluids etc at the appropriate milage they should be TELLING YOU it needs changing but from their perspective its better not to as they make fortunes when a major component fails, when I bought my car it according to Manchester Audi had been given a full whistles and bells service at 36k I bought it with 40k on the clock so when I got it home a week later I ripped it apart and replaced everything and sure enough the air filter could only be described as round and black the fuel filter was original from the date painted on it May 16 2016 the car when I bought it was just over three years old, the only thing they had changed was the engine oil but regardless of that I changed the whole lot including the gearbox oil and brake fluid at least I was starting from square one, you can tell when a dealership service manager is lying his lips move.

Steve.

• Like 1