AdBlue leak in engine bay - OK to drive?

CJay

First post here, unfortunately with an issue! The engine management light on my 2016 A7 272 came on today, when I checked under the bonnet, I noticed a fair amount of a white crystalline substance in the engine bay, situated mostly around the exhaust manifold (see pic). Some digging revealed this to be an AdBlue leak, its not toxic apparently, just unsightly. I'm waiting for the dealers to get back to me with an appointment. The car was serviced 600km ago and Adblue tank was topped up in and around that time. I'm interested to know if other owners have had similar issues and how common this issue is. Also, can I drive the car in the interim, albeit for short journeys? 

20211005_112347.jpg

Late yesterday, I got the 1000km warning citing an issue with the Adblue system i.e. the car can be driven for another 1000km at which point it it will no longer start unless serviced. My usual Audi dealership quoted a 1 month lead time for a diagnostic check! Booked in with an alternative dealer for 2 weeks time, will need to keep the miles down between now and then 😐

Hello Ciaran, 

Seems like a straightforward leak from the Adblue system. I would just add say 250mls. of Adblue at a time if you fine you are running out of miles.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi wipe it all off with a wet cloth and then you will see exactly where its come from, my guess is the diffuser is partially blocked and the back pressure is blowing past the seal where the pipe connects to the diffuser.

Steve.