DanB 8P

DanB

• "Sometimes funny starting when hot, dies but then starts up fine on 2nd attempt - suspect starter motor needs replaced?"

Not necessarily, had something like that quite some time ago, it had trouble starting warm, then after a few months or so it died entirely, I think it was cam or some of that sort sensor. It almost felt as if fuel not being delivered, since RPM never went above 200-300 RPM on attempt, had to get it towed costed me 40-50 euros this issue
Edited by gromlog

On 2/27/2022 at 7:25 PM, DanB said:

Finally have 4 fully working windows 

Rear wiper seems to have totally packed in now. Started coming on and off whenever it felt like it, then went through a phase where I could hear the motor working with no arm movement before fully giving up the ghost. But I've spent enough on it for now so that can wait 🤣

You've done a great amount of work so far 🙂

• 8 months later...

Only remembered this thread after getting an e-mail ping for someone replying to an old post 😄

Started a new job in Feb with a company car so the A3 is only being used by my mum to ferry daughter around a couple of days a week.

• Replaced the starter motor and fitted a bigger battery to cure the hot start issue.
  • Rear wiper still not working, probs should get the motor replaced
  • Glovebox still broken, probs should get the hinge replaced
  • Trim still peeling, probs should paint/wrap to tidy them up
  • Rear light got a bit of water inside, probs should replace/upgrade for facelift lights

Is it obvious I've lost interest? Do still love driving it when I get the chance though.

May become surplus to requirements soon, but may still keep hold of it and sort some bits out

On 11/30/2022 at 7:58 PM, DanB said:

Only remembered this thread after getting an e-mail ping for someone replying to an old post 😄

Started a new job in Feb with a company car so the A3 is only being used by my mum to ferry daughter around a couple of days a week.

• Replaced the starter motor and fitted a bigger battery to cure the hot start issue.
  • Rear wiper still not working, probs should get the motor replaced
  • Glovebox still broken, probs should get the hinge replaced
  • Trim still peeling, probs should paint/wrap to tidy them up
  • Rear light got a bit of water inside, probs should replace/upgrade for facelift lights

Is it obvious I've lost interest? Do still love driving it when I get the chance though.

May become surplus to requirements soon, but may still keep hold of it and sort some bits out

Sorry to hear you've lost interest. It can often happen when lots of faults occur in a short time. I had that with a Volvo 940. 

11 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

Sorry to hear you've lost interest. It can often happen when lots of faults occur in a short time. I had that with a Volvo 940. 

The loss of interest is through never using it. 

My sister will be moving back shortly I think so it'll be back on daily duties for her 

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight's fun job. 

Lent the car to a mate for a few days and he told me the fans weren't working so he had fun deicing it 🙈

Sure enough fans were dead. 

Checked fuse all OK, then set about checking the fan. 

Glovebox out, fan out. Was a bit stiff so spun by hand and lubed, refitted and boom, all working 👍🏻

Went to shut the bonnet happy with myself and it won't close, just bounces on the latch. 

Sake 

On 12/13/2022 at 9:16 PM, DanB said:

Tonight's fun job. 

Lent the car to a mate for a few days and he told me the fans weren't working so he had fun deicing it 🙈

Sure enough fans were dead. 

Checked fuse all OK, then set about checking the fan. 

Glovebox out, fan out. Was a bit stiff so spun by hand and lubed, refitted and boom, all working 👍🏻

Went to shut the bonnet happy with myself and it won't close, just bounces on the latch. 

Sake 

Glad you got the fans sorted. I had that with my bonnet in a service station car park with a great amount onlookers. Got it shut eventually with a massive slam lol. It needed the mechanism adjusting 

Good work. Went through your issues. Not only Audi, but the whole Vag group of cars suffers from bad/broken wires in door rubber gators. If on these cars door electrics start play their own life(also speakers may be affected), first thing is pull off wiring, check for wire damage.. I had number vag cars, all them had door wiring issues. 

Regarding your rear wiper, before you replace it, get checked if any power comes to plug. Could be broken wire in back door rubber gator. 

About fan motor, check outside if plastic tray under windscreen (with holes for front wipers) is fit tight in windscreen plastic groove... If it not clicked in, water drips on to fan motor.. On my audi also first it stopped, I've gave a good wd40 spray, and worked for few months, didn't had chance fix that plastic, and from water that motor died.. Then I bought second hand one, replaced, and spend half of day to clean that groove, as it was full of dirt from long time, after I've click that plastic in groove, now everything is fine. 

You've got lovely motor their, now I wish I had automatic one... 

If you get picture of big sticker wich is in boot where spare wheel is, we can figure out what engine you've got. 

Ta