3.0 tdi dipstick - Audi delete

56Doc

Hi folks,

Im sure I’ve seen a post or 2 about the fact that Audi deleted the oil dipstick from many models and identifying the relevant part numbers but I can’t find it now. 
I don’t trust the MMI as it only shows a max level but doesn’t give any clue as to whether it’s at the max level or above it, and if above it, by how much.

every engineer and technician appreciates the damage possibilities of overfilling anything with its lub oil, so I’d really like to find the right dipstick. The tube is there, it’s just plugged, so it’s an easy install.

I think I saw this part No. on another site ( 059115611AM)  Not sure if it’s the right number but  I’ve ordered one from LLLParts for £12. Figured that it was worth the gamble!

Any other advice, or where the other posts are on here will be gratefully received.
Cheers

Dave F

When you refill, you have to do it very carefully with the MMI. You will notice that it shows an initial reading then a new reading about 15 secs later. That's the one to go by. Just fill it when hot, and you'll be fine - but it's very sensitive. Hence I use the oil pump!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, dipstick I’d ordered from LLLParts duly arrived.

Got the car on the flat, followed the owners manual to check level via MMI, just shows full.

checked with the dipstick, shows about 0.5 to 1.0 litre above the ‘max’ mark (about 18-20mm )

so it seems I can’t trust the MMI, Seen an engine that had been badly overfilled, my mates car years ago, or rather what was left of the engine after most of the oil seals blew out, it lost all oil within a second or 2 and overheated very fast, he ground to a stop soon after, once cooled the engine was found to be totally seized. 
so not impressed that this system of Audi’s doesn’t have a ‘high oil level’ warning as well as the low level warning. It can be just as disastrous.

Hello Dave, 

Many thanks for letting the forum know about this. 
As I see it, it could indeed be that the MMi is giving a false reading, or ( in caps) it could be the dipstick is. 
Not sure when you last changed your engine oil, but if this were mine,I would be draining the oil off, removing the filter , and refilling the engine to the exact quantity ( shown under Capacities in the handbook) for an oil and filter change. If you then start the engine and allow the filter to fill, switch off, and allow the car to stand for a good hour, you can then measure the level on the dipstick to see how it compares with the Full mark. 
This will give you the correct correlation between the digital and dipstick readings. 
Perhaps you could let us know when you have some detail on this.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I’ve only recently got the car, FSH but the oil is very black so thought I’d change it anyway, got under there today to do it and found that 2 of the Torx bolts on the undertray are either T55 or T60, the other 2 were T50, got every size up to T50! So I had to drop it off the stands and go buy one of each of the bigger 2! Dark when I got back so either tomorrow or Thursday hopefully.

Ok, oil change finally done, couple of the T50 Torx bolts were seized, eventually used a chisel to get them turning.

Oil level on dipstick is just above the ‘max’’ bobble, MMI shows about 1/3 up from min to max. I reckon I took at least 7 litres out.

Hello Dave,

What was the exact quantity of the fresh oil you put in for your oil and filter change, so that that can be compared with the approx. 7 ltrs you think you drained out? 
Kind regards, 

Gareth. 

Hello Dave.

What does your handbook specify as the capacity for oil and filter change?

Unless you know that, and exactly how much you put in, then neither dipstick nor digital reading will be meaningful. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Helpfully, The owners handbook doesn’t give any capacity for oil. Just the ‘add 0.5 litres’ if the MMI says ‘add oil’.

I got the 6.5 from other Audi forum posts.

I put approx 6.6 litres in, measured from the graduations on the oil cans. I took at least 7 litres out as it was well over the MMI max indication and about an inch above the ‘Max’ bobble on the dipstick before I changed the oil.

as I have no idea when the built in oil level sensor was last calibrated ( suspect it was at build), then it’s about 6 years overdue for re-calibratation, as an engineer who used to deal with stuff like this everyday, I’d trust the volume that went in and the dipstick over an uncalibrated sensor every time.

I’ve since spoken to an Audi service centre. When they change your oil, they don’t use use (trust?) the MMI oil level sensor, they use a ‘special tool’ that they put into the dipstick tube to measure the oil level.

in other words- they use a dipstick!