Coolant level

Pol777

Hi, I have a 1.6 tdi s-line, im having to top up the coolant every 2-3 weeks, is this normal? There are no signs of liquid on the floor under the engine, so am i right in thinking there is no leak and this is normal? Any help appreciated, thanks.

Have you checked for anything that looks like mayo in the dipstick or where you top up the oil. If you do then it is most likely head gasket. 

If that's all clear then yes I'd say you have a leak. 

Hello Paul, 

Loosing coolant is not normal, but you don’t tell us what volume you have to top up over this 2 to 3 week interval. 
Some degree of ‘mayo’ under the oil filler cap is quite normal on vehicles which are used on relatively short trips, and even some small amount on the dipstick can often be mistaken for head gasket issues, when indeed it’s simply due to condensation.  
If you have definitely elimited any visible external leak, then my first and simple task would be to replace the coolant reservoir cap, with a good quality new one. 
Another test worth carrying out is to take the car on at least a 10 mile run, and immediately on return, get an assistant to rev the engine to a steady 2000 rpm and hold it there for 2 minutes, while you observe the exhaust, looking for any undue smoke. 
Perhaps you can let us know how you get on. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

No, it is not normal to top up the coolant every two weeks. I did mine every two years.

Yes, you do have a leak. The problem is finding precisely where it is leaking from. Accepting that there is no external leak leaves only three possibilities: the coolant is entering the combustion chambers, (via the head gasket or cracked head for example,) and hence to the exhaust, or it is getting into the sump, or it is boiling off and being vented from the pressure cap. Answers to the questions from Steve and Gareth will help determine what is going on.

So curiosity got the better of me after finding liquid on the undertrays last night, took it to local garage and apparently its the water pump leaking. To be fair I was going to change the cambelt at 100,000 so it's forced my arm in a way. Not great for my wallet but needs must. Thanks for all the input though, its appreciated.

19 minutes ago, Pol777 said:

So curiosity got the better of me after finding liquid on the undertrays last night, took it to local garage and apparently its the water pump leaking. To be fair I was going to change the cambelt at 100,000 so it's forced my arm in a way. Not great for my wallet but needs must. Thanks for all the input though, its appreciated.

You're welcome glad we could help. Glad it was caught before it went. Once it's done at least you'll be safe in the knowledge you won't have to worry about it for at least 5 years. 

Thanks Paul,

Finding the cause is always refreshing for the mind, if not the wallet! 
Cambelts:- Ignore mileages unless high annual, and change them at no longer than 5 year intervals. 
Water pumps - get a good make one. VAG now seem to be far more reasonably priced than they were, so…

I would also get the auxiliary belt changed at the same time. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.