Intermittent starting

Mike Tidd

2007 Audi A4 S LineSE Quattro TDI Estate.

Problem, I have is intermittent starting. Key in and turn to start nothing happens. The radio and everything else is functioning. The battery is good ( less that a year old ), the Alternator is charging. This fault happens intermittently and after removing the key and reinserting a number of times car starts. This happens with both keys so I think you can rule out the key chip. Could it be the key barrel?  My garage tell me there are no fault codes listed. It's not Parasitic Power Drain. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the remedy? If i can't fix it she has to go which I do not want to do.

Help please.

1 hour ago, Mike Tidd said:

2007 Audi A4 S LineSE Quattro TDI Estate.

Problem, I have is intermittent starting. Key in and turn to start nothing happens. The radio and everything else is functioning. The battery is good ( less that a year old ), the Alternator is charging. This fault happens intermittently and after removing the key and reinserting a number of times car starts. This happens with both keys so I think you can rule out the key chip. Could it be the key barrel?  My garage tell me there are no fault codes listed. It's not Parasitic Power Drain. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the remedy? If i can't fix it she has to go which I do not want to do.

Help please.

Hi there is normally a transponder pick up ring around the ignition barrel under the barrel shroud this says hi to the key when inserted in to the barrel if it is failing it may well be your problem as it sounds like its not always recognising the key and its code and on that year of car I don't think its monitored by the ECU hence no fault codes.

Steve.

On 5/28/2022 at 7:15 PM, Stevey Y said:

Hi there is normally a transponder pick up ring around the ignition barrel under the barrel shroud this says hi to the key when inserted in to the barrel if it is failing it may well be your problem as it sounds like its not always recognising the key and its code and on that year of car I don't think its monitored by the ECU hence no fault codes.

Steve.

Agree with Steve.

Sorry if i'm teaching to such eggs.

Try putting the key in fully without turning, wait 5 seconds.

Turn the key once to switch on ignition (NOT start the engine), waiting for all the lights to go out, and wait another 5 seconds.  During this time, the key is recognised.

Hopefully the engine will start now first time.  Just gives a few extra seconds for the key to be recognised.

• Like 1

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the advice, I will certainly try your suggestion. The problem is I can't rely on the car in it's present state. Thanks again.

I see you have an auto... next time it goofs around, see if the 'press break' light on the selector is operating as it should be. I had an intermittent starting issue and it turned out to be a dodgy connection on fuse 31.

Ian

Haha! turns out my knowledge of Audi trim levels is cack!.. thought the S-line was a top spec for Auto's, and the R-line being a same but for manuals😬

I that case, I don't think fuse 31 is going to be any help. Apologies for leading you up the garden path.

Ian

• 1 month later...

Hi I have the same problem on my Q7 ,I had an in depth scan done showing live data and it has shown a fault with a contact on ignition barrel, I have tried to get anew barrel from audi but they are on aback order ,now been waiting 1 month still no sign ,Does anyone know if a secondhand barrel and getting keys re programmed will work

Thanks