2009 Audi s3 p0011 fault- help

S.Ali7

Hello, I bought a 2009 Audi s3 yesterday, after buying a p0011 fault code came up, is this a serious fault? I’ve been told it’s a common fault and that it isn’t very expensive. But can someone tell me if it’s easy to sort, and how much it could be? Is it serious?

It relates to the camshaft position. So could be a cam sensor etc. Here's a link: 

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b6-platform-discussion-34/p0011-code-fixed-2919482/ 

I appreciate this link is for a b6 for the same principle applies. 

If bought from a dealer then take it back for them to fix. 

2 hours ago, Steve Q said:

It relates to the camshaft position. So could be a cam sensor etc. Here's a link: 

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b6-platform-discussion-34/p0011-code-fixed-2919482/ 

I appreciate this link is for a b6 for the same principle applies. 

If bought from a dealer then take it back for them to fix. 

Thanks mate, and no it was bought privately 

8 hours ago, S.Ali7 said:

Thanks mate, and no it was bought privately 

Ah right, in that case my two thoughts would be: 

1. Has a sensor failed? 

2. Has the car had a Cambelt/timing chain replaced recently in any service history you have? If timing is out by a tooth then the car could run nearly right but enough to flag the fault. 

3. If it has a chain and it's the original it could have stretched causing the timing to jump a tooth. Which could cause the code. My wife had this on a Vauxhall Corsa a few years ago. 

11 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

Ah right, in that case my two thoughts would be: 

1. Has a sensor failed? 

2. Has the car had a Cambelt/timing chain replaced recently in any service history you have? If timing is out by a tooth then the car could run nearly right but enough to flag the fault. 

The timing belt was done literally about 3 weeks ago, I checked that and the line on the belt matched the line on the cog. I will need to check the vvt solenoid I’m guessing?

9 minutes ago, S.Ali7 said:

The timing belt was done literally about 3 weeks ago, I checked that and the line on the belt matched the line on the cog. I will need to check the vvt solenoid I’m guessing?

Just to add, the p0011 fault said a camshaft position timing over advanced or system performance bank 1

2 hours ago, S.Ali7 said:

Just to add, the p0011 fault said a camshaft position timing over advanced or system performance bank 1

Correct. It could be a sensor. But I'd definitely check the camshafts are at the correct position. It sounds like it could be out ever so slightly. 

25 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

Correct. It could be a sensor. But I'd definitely check the camshafts are at the correct position. It sounds like it could be out ever so slightly. 

The line on the belt and the line of the cam gear matches, I have attached a photo 

FD2FD6A5-9EEB-40CA-B881-5B48AC317973.jpeg

Try sensor first then or speak to the garage who did the work. 

Will do mate, do you know if I can still drive the car? I don’t plan on putting my foot down and going fast, but will I still be able to drive it on the motorway and stuff?

2 hours ago, S.Ali7 said:

Will do mate, do you know if I can still drive the car? I don’t plan on putting my foot down and going fast, but will I still be able to drive it on the motorway and stuff?

I suspect it's out only just so should be fine but I definitely wouldn't push it. If something goes seriously wrong then it'll go into limp mode or I suspect the engine note will change. 

I suspect it's out only just so should be fine but I definitely wouldn't push it. If something goes seriously wrong then it'll go into limp mode or I suspect the engine note will change. 

Sorry what do you suspect is only just out? And is it more advisable to just not drive it long distances until issue is sorted??

The timing. 

I'd be getting it into a garage asap if it were mine. No engine is cheap to replace but have a look at the cost of a replacement S3 engine band I'd think you'll be shocked. 

The timing. 

I'd be getting it into a garage asap if it were mine. No engine is cheap to replace but have a look at the cost of a replacement S3 engine band I'd think you'll be shocked. 

Okay will get it into a garage ASAP if the new vvt solenoid does not get rid of the EML

Just now, S.Ali7 said:

Thanks for your help and advice mate🙂

That's what I'm hear for. If the timing is out, I believe it's ever so slightly. So you probably could drive it but with care! 

As I say my wife has driven a Corsa which timing was out slightly band it drive ok. And did no damage to the engine before she changed the chain. I appreciate a Corsa is a lot more basic mechanically than an S3 though. 

3 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

That's what I'm hear for. If the timing is out, I believe it's ever so slightly. So you probably could drive it but with care! 

As I say my wife has driven a Corsa which timing was out slightly band it drive ok. And did no damage to the engine before she changed the chain. I appreciate a Corsa is a lot more basic mechanically than an S3 though. 

I’m getting a new vvt valve delivered today so fingers crossed that sorts it, if not then I’ll be taking it to a garage to look at and hopefully fix🙏🏽 

1 hour ago, S.Ali7 said:

I’m getting a new vvt valve delivered today so fingers crossed that sorts it, if not then I’ll be taking it to a garage to look at and hopefully fix🙏🏽 

Fingers crossed for you 🙂

• 1 year later...

Hello Kernower,

Could you please complete your profile properly, then we should be able to assist. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.