Error - "Vehicle lights - malfunction"

yay 6

Hi, 

I have an error message " Vehicle lights malfunction" on the dash. I have checked, and all the lights appear to be working, no bulbs/leds appear unlit.

image.thumb.jpeg.08e2f2fbf7ffc744194e09238ce9fdab.jpeg

A scan with OBD11 reveals the following faults:

image.thumb.jpeg.5a32158bf20cfa01a53c403da25f08d0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.553c9ac1a86c2fe35ca1ed483c4279b4.jpeg

The faults cannot be cancelled. Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

Thanks

Hello Denzil,

’….al lights checked…’ Some brake light assemblies  can have twin bulbs, which lead owners to believe the brake lights are working - which indeed they may be -but not to a uniform degree of brightness. 
If this isn’t the source of your particular issue? Worth checking earths and connectors. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

On 7/9/2022 at 7:34 PM, Magnet said:

Hello Denzil,

’….al lights checked…’ Some brake light assemblies  can have twin bulbs, which lead owners to believe the brake lights are working - which indeed they may be -but not to a uniform degree of brightness. 
If this isn’t the source of your particular issue? Worth checking earths and connectors. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Checked the brightness, and all seems ok. All wires seem ok with no obvious signs of fraying, so it looks like a trip to the auto electrician is next. Tha nks for your help/

No, looking at it this evening, there is a rubber grommet with a bunch of wires ( in black tape) emerging from it. This is from the rear of the light unit which is part of the rear fender. I was not quite sure if I should try to undo it. Then there is the other part of the light unit which is part of the boot lid.  I will take photos and post tomorrow. 

A little more information on the problem:

The light selector switch and the indications around it do not light up but all the other switches do.

image.thumb.jpeg.3d5af4430a08cd0dd9c20513c5da73dc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.931b31ad569e8348071148042546f30e.jpeg

Further, the headlights and taillights turn on, even in daylight, irrespective of the position of the light selector switch. If the switch is in the "Auto" position, and the door is opened with the ignition turned off, the buzzer goes off until the selector is turned to the off position.

....and now, my wife's car, a C7 sedan 2012 2.8fsi. High beam does not work, either in flash mode or full high beam. The blue indicator light on the dash comes on when the stalk is pulled. A scan with OBD11 came up with the message "open circuit". I erased the message, but the high beam still does not work.

image.thumb.jpeg.5ae34556cfdd512ae210819e848f1b63.jpeg

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately I could not fix the issue myself. A trip to the auto electrician, $$$ and mumjo-jumbo explanation later, the lights are now functioning.

Something about the signal from the stalk not being recognised and thus a circuit board or two needing to be replaced.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response.   This is the only forum that had a reference to this error.  
I let the car sit outside uncovered.  I think leaves blocked the windscreen drains causing water to get behind the dash.

• 4 weeks later...

Did the A6 switch replacement fix light malfunction issue? Have same exact issue...including no indicator light on headlight switch. I replaced switch with no change to symptoms. May have to find electrical diagrams and trace...

On 11/30/2023 at 10:22 AM, Tim2014A6 said:

Did the A6 switch replacement fix light malfunction issue? Have same exact issue...including no indicator light on headlight switch. I replaced switch with no change to symptoms. May have to find electrical diagrams and trace...

Yes, it did.

• 3 months later...