A4 Avant (B9) Battery replacement

Chris 747

Go to solution Solved by Chris 747,

It looks like I'll need to replace my A4 40 tfsi Avant's stop/start battery soon as does not appear to hold it's charge.

I have connected it to a CTEK charger twice now over a few days. This came to light a while after the fitting of a NextBase dashcam insomuch that the camera stops working after a very short period.

So, I hope I can get some tips from the forum on the best replacement battery and other similar experiences of others.

19 minutes ago, CraigR1977 said:

I’ll be following this. The only thing I know is… they ain’t cheap. 

Hi,

Yes, I know - everything seems pricey for Audis. I have looked online and saw that Halfords has an AGM 095 battery with a 5 guarantee for £180 (fitting extra, of course) but that seems too cheap really compared with others I've seen - a Bosch S3 is £282.58 from buycarparts.co.uk for instance. It's a bit of a minefield.

Hello Chris, 

If this were mine, I wouldn’t be opening my wallet until I had checked prices at Battery Magastore, Tayna and other on-line suppliers - delivered to your door, usually within two days. 
If you search them on eBay you will get free delivery. 
I would go with Varta/Bosch or Exide, with their minimum of 4 year warranty grade. 
Perhaps you could let us know how their prices compare with Halfords. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

On 7/23/2023 at 10:21 AM, Chris 747 said:

It looks like I'll need to replace my A4 40 tfsi Avant's stop/start battery soon as does not appear to hold it's charge.

I have connected it to a CTEK charger twice now over a few days. This came to light a while after the fitting of a NextBase dashcam insomuch that the camera stops working after a very short period.

So, I hope I can get some tips from the forum on the best replacement battery and other similar experiences of others.

there is a halfords one on eBay £120 item no 115868469601( 22miles from you)any good i was told though it would need coding to your car.  regards stephen

14 minutes ago, alpha omega said:

there is a halfords one on ebay £120 item no 115868469601( 22miles from you)any good i was told though it would need coding to your car.  regards stephen

Thanks for that, Stephen.

This is definitly an ongoing issue. I checked with my local Audi dealer's service and spares departments and from what info they gave me my current battery (excuse pun!) should be okay if such & such is working as normal, which it is. For them to do a test of the battery would cost £140!!! 😮So, not going that route! Plus they are asking for £322.20 for a new one!!!
The Halford's one at £180 appears to be the best deal but I'm currently working on a battery check of my dashcam which could be faulty, following directions from NextBase. It's a 4 hour process! I'll update my finding when that's completed. 🤞
Cheers!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Chris, 

If this were mine, I wouldn’t be opening my wallet until I had checked prices at Battery Magastore, Tayna and other on-line suppliers - delivered to your door, usually within two days. 
If you search them on EBay you will get free delivery. 
I would go with Varta/Bosch or Exide, with their minimum of 4 year warranty grade. 
Perhaps you could let us know how their prices compare with Halfords. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

I did check both those options but Battery Megastore was no good and Tayna has some very poor reviews - apparently they do not accept any bad reviews, which is worrying. I will look for the brands you mentioned but this is an ongoing problem that I'm attempting to sort out. See my post from a few minutes ago.
Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

Hi everyone,

I finally found the problem of my Nextbase dashcam not holding its battery charge.

Basically, my own fault! 🤲 I found a connection was not fully in place after all the other tests I had done. Everything is now working as it should. Fortunately I do not need a replacement battery at this time...hooray! I did wait for a few days before reporting back on this to make sure all was well.

Happy days! 😄

• Like 1