Ad Blue Delivery Systems - The Unbelievable Irresponsibility

Meow

Audi know that every recent diesel needs a working AdBlu system. They know by now that the AdBlu pipes and injectors are unreliable ( I'm sure many forum users have been aghast at having to repeat replace/repair them ). Yet they continued to rely on one place for their production ............. in the eastern part of Ukraine !

Now I find that Audi UK have been blocked from ordering new AdBlu systems. So instead of replacing mine this time the local Audi garage did a resin repair and we hoped for the best. Well, after not many miles, lo and behold the amber light is back on. The info screen hasn't come round to saying yeah its Ad Blu with the spanner symbol, indicating its a system fault as well as needing more liquid. Not yet anyway but I'm expecting it. 

What happens to me if they can't get it repaired enough to work with, long enough to last before supplies of new parts come through ? I need my car for my living ( taxi ) and because of this it literally grinds to a halt. I'm invested in this car and its not even half through it useful life. I can't afford another one. Its absolutely terrifying. 

Is anyone else in a similar situation ? You will be, if your AdBlu system leaks / fails.

In my opinion Audi / VAG have been extremely irresponsible over this. I'm sure a company their size engages consultants to brief them on geopolitical situations. Did they really not understand that the situation there would not resolve quickly ? They surely know better than the nonsense you get from the BBC or Sky or from the mouths of dishonest government ministers.

They know every recent diesel needs the system and they know they are unreliable, therefore it is critical to maintain a supply of these parts.

Why could VAG not organise production somewhere else, say Poland or Czech or even Germany ? The invasion proper took place a year and a half ago ! The war situation has really been going on since 2014 thus that area is unstable. To continue relying on it for so long is sheer irresponsibility. Now we have a situation in which UK government won't allow in parts from Russia or Russian controlled territory.  I actually called Audi UK directly to ask the latest and I was told they have a plant now making them in South Africa.  But is this enough ? There must be a big backlog already. Why not also somewhere in Europe ? But also, of all places, South Africa ? That country is in a mess. They can hardly get electrical power delivered reliably to have normal function.

I sorely hope they manage to get these parts into the UK soon. If not then I hope whatever patching work the dealer can do holds long enough for me to hobble through till supply arrives. Any day I'm expecting the AdBlue and system spanner symbols to replace the general EMS warning light and I'll be back at the dealer asking for help.

Any suggestions what I might do going around normal procurement channels ?  

Anyone else in the same boat ?

Anyone know more than me about this absurd situation ?  Does it annoy you ? ( it would if you can't get a working Ad Blu system ! )

Hello Graeme,

Obviously the situation is intolerable, but to me, the emphasis should be on obtaining suitable substitutes rather than concentrating on how/why Audi has allowed this situation to deteriorate - that is not being progressive. 
If this were mine, I would concentrating my efforts on inspecting the faulty component (pipe?) and thinking about some better mode of repair than resin goo. Surely a reliable repair/modification would not be beyond the scope of a small engineering shop.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Meow said:

Audi know that every recent diesel needs a working AdBlu system. They know by now that the AdBlu pipes and injectors are unreliable ( I'm sure many forum users have been aghast at having to repeat replace/repair them ). Yet they continued to rely on one place for their production ............. in the eastern part of Ukraine !

Now I find that Audi UK have been blocked from ordering new AdBlu systems. So instead of replacing mine this time the local Audi garage did a resin repair and we hoped for the best. Well, after not many miles, lo and behold the amber light is back on. The info screen hasn't come round to saying yeah its Ad Blu with the spanner symbol, indicating its a system fault as well as needing more liquid. Not yet anyway but I'm expecting it. 

What happens to me if they can't get it repaired enough to work with, long enough to last before supplies of new parts come through ? I need my car for my living ( taxi ) and because of this it literally grinds to a halt. I'm invested in this car and its not even half through it useful life. I can't afford another one. Its absolutely terrifying. 

Is anyone else in a similar situation ? You will be, if your AdBlu system leaks / fails.

In my opinion Audi / VAG have been extremely irresponsible over this. I'm sure a company their size engages consultants to brief them on geopolitical situations. Did they really not understand that the situation there would not resolve quickly ? They surely know better than the nonsense you get from the BBC or Sky or from the mouths of dishonest government ministers.

They know every recent diesel needs the system and they know they are unreliable, therefore it is critical to maintain a supply of these parts.

Why could VAG not organise production somewhere else, say Poland or Czech or even Germany ? The invasion proper took place a year and a half ago ! The war situation has really been going on since 2014 thus that area is unstable. To continue relying on it for so long is sheer irresponsibility. Now we have a situation in which UK government won't allow in parts from Russia or Russian controlled territory.  I actually called Audi UK directly to ask the latest and I was told they have a plant now making them in South Africa.  But is this enough ? There must be a big backlog already. Why not also somewhere in Europe ? But also, of all places, South Africa ? That country is in a mess. They can hardly get electrical power delivered reliably to have normal function.

I sorely hope they manage to get these parts into the UK soon. If not then I hope whatever patching work the dealer can do holds long enough for me to hobble through till supply arrives. Any day I'm expecting the AdBlue and system spanner symbols to replace the general EMS warning light and I'll be back at the dealer asking for help.

Any suggestions what I might do going around normal procurement channels ?  

Anyone else in the same boat ?

Anyone know more than me about this absurd situation ?  Does it annoy you ? ( it would if you can't get a working Ad Blu system ! )

Hi I agree with Steve and Gareth on both options, can you specify what has failed as if its a pipe its either repairable or substituted with a different material with a similar bore, if you look at it I wouldn't mind betting your system is exactly the same as the A4/A5/A6 I think its a safe bet as VAGs love of globalisation means one part fits a load of other models, I to am a cabbie and I know exactly where you are coming from, I feel for you I really do, no car is like someone has cut your throat financially, I have come across this none in the country for your vehicle CR@P loads of times as with my engine mounts, ended up buying FEBI units which also fitted the A4 with a CNHA engine, oh no I was told by the main stealer they wont last, 70k later says no difference. If you get in a jam just get the adblue mapped out until you can get the parts  its a lot cheaper than being off the road for six months.

Steve.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Graeme,

Obviously the situation is intolerable, but to me, the emphasis should be on obtaining suitable substitutes rather than concentrating on how/why Audi has allowed this situation to deteriorate - that is not being progressive. 

There's not really a substitute, is there ? Unless, someone can say what it  is. The parts need replacing. The parts were for a long time unreliable too - another criticsism, but hey ho.  The supply does have to be maintained given that they are absolutely required by all recent diesel cars. People are going to be off the road because of this, including some who use their cars for their living.

Much as I like Audi, I won't retract my criticism of them here. I maintain their management of this critical supply issue has been irresponsible. I chose that word deliberately. I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "progressive". Should I pretend they weren't stupid and incompetent just to maintain the Audi love vibe on the forum ?  I won't.  They had all the time and ought at least to have had sufficient knowledge of the situation to see a need to act earlier. The region has been unstable for nearly a decade.

45 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi I agree with Steve and Gareth on both options, can you specify what has failed as if its a pipe its either repairable or substituted with a different material with a similar bore, if you look at it I wouldn't mind betting your system is exactly the same as the A4/A5/A6 I think its a safe bet as VAGs love of globalisation means one part fits a load of other models, I to am a cabbie and I know exactly where you are coming from, I feel for you I really do, no car is like someone has cut your throat financially, I have come across this none in the country for your vehicle CR@P loads of times as with my engine mounts, ended up buying FEBI units which also fitted the A4 with a CNHA engine, oh no I was told by the main stealer they wont last, 70k later says no difference. If you get in a jam just get the adblue mapped out until you can get the parts  its a lot cheaper than being off the road for six months.

Steve.

Thanks.

All I know is the ad blue pipe is leaking, for the third time now - twice replaced.  One time I got it done again under repair warranty. I've been offered a really awesome deal by the dealer when I get it done again, but this time also to replace the injector module as a sort of peace of mind thing, again at a really good price.I praise the local dealer here for their helpful attitude ! 

My take ( guess ) is that quality of the pipes has really suffered in recent circumstances. Its not just me and its not just with Audi cars. It seems Ad Blu hardware is a bit of a plague really.

I could certainly look outwith the Audi system, however don't you think with the shortages, any going goods will have been swallowed up by now.

Perhaps that just leaves the other thing suggested, to get some imaginative engineering applied beyond epoxy resin. Maybe the same Audi dealer can do it.

Can anyone think to mention specific ad blue pipe repairs that might stop the leaking ?  In the absence of supply this option may very well be my only one for now.

Legally I believe the system will simply shut me down if AdBlu is not poured in. So I'm not sure how a garage could map out the ad blu requirement legally.  If there's a leak I have to keep pouring it in, but leaks typically accelerate so really it absolutely has to be replaced or repaired.

So, suggestions of repair methods anyone ??

This evening I got the expected warning lamps specifying the problem. Yes, the AdBlue light and the spanner, indicating system fault. As expected.

So its a top up of the liquid soon and a visit to the garage to see what they might do next. 

Any further explanation of speciific methods to repair would be appreciated.

The idea of "mapping out" the Ad Blu requirement stated earlier was intriguing, but is it legal ?  Comment on that would also be appreciated.

Hello Graeme,

Many thanks for the in-fill details, but it still points to Audi being to blame here - which of course they are - and little to do with how are we going to temporarily get out of this mess in a much more efficient manner than their initial attempt. 
Without meaning to be patronising, I feel for you and our Steve Y who are totally dependable on your vehicle to put bread on your table, and this boiled down to now having to help yourself. 
If this were mine, I would be spending my time trying to find someone who is capable of making a far more reliable temporary repair than your friendly local dealer are - end of, in my book - since I feel you cannot afford to do anything else. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Mapping it out is in theory a no no as it's now illegal to modify or tamper with emissions systems. So would be an MOT failure and fine if caught. However, as long as there's no warning lights on the dash and system is still fitted then there's not much more MOT tester can do as it's a visual inspection. If that makes sense. 

• Like 1

Mot is May. Next council inspection is Jan.  I understand what you're saying. To do it regardless as a practical step, pending physical solution.

However as I'm sure you'll understand, I'd be very wary of such a move. I operate under licence and there is a huge assumption of trust involved - one which I'd be super relucutant to breach.

While there is no safety issue in terms of what the local authority would be interested to ensure against, it remains a legal matter and if not complied with might be problematic if discovered. It is a matter of central government and is in the realms of ideology ( which I do not myself buy into !!! ) but its there nevertheless. 

Therefore, I am minded more to seeking n accelerated physical solution.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meow said:

Mot is May. Next council inspection is Jan.  I understand what you're saying. To do it regardless as a practical step, pending physical solution.

However as I'm sure you'll understand, I'd be very wary of such a move. I operate under licence and there is a huge assumption of trust involved - one which I'd be super relucutant to breach.

While there is no safety issue in terms of what the local authority would be interested to ensure against, it remains a legal matter and if not complied with might be problematic if discovered. It is a matter of central government and is in the realms of ideology ( which I do not myself buy into !!! ) but its there nevertheless. 

Therefore, I am minded more to seeking n accelerated physical solution.

No probs, was just giving you the info regarding mapping it out. I do appreciate the complexity of having the taxi licence. I'd recommend you source the pats second hand from eBay including international sellers if possible. 

Is this the pipe under the bonnet at the back of the engine? I see so many photos on google image search of the white powdery deposit build up of salt where it continually weeps here and eventually lets go.  A terrible quality part that costs £150+ for which there is no substitute (It's a custom moulded nylon pipe all the way to the tank at the back of the car) and takes 2 hours labour to fit.   Mine is weeping I am loathed to replace it and hope to glue it with cyanocrylate if it gets worse.  The joint can be pulled out of the pipe and glued back in, but due to the pressure may not hold. It would have to be stronger than original to last, that is a tall order in itself. I do not want to attempt a pre-emptive repair in case it makes it worse and I am left with a £200-300 bill.

Edited by snapdragon