Sons new A3 something is missing

WELSHVIKING

Go to solution Solved by WELSHVIKING,

Hi, My son went to view the 2019 A3 with my wife last week, they drove down to 97 miles to Birmingham. I unfortunately could not go as just had an operation so not in any fit state last week to do anything. They had a test drive in it and agreed a decent part exchange on his Aygo. They delivered it late last night after giving it a new MOT and a service and I went for a long test-drive with he guy who brought it up and it was a very nice drive and extremely quiet as expected with only 23k on the clock. I have been giving it a good looking over today as my son is in work till 7pm and all looks lovely apart from I noticed there was no spare wheel or any tools. There was something in the wheel well which I believe is a sub woofer but could not find any tools for changing a wheel (Jack, wheel wrench etc). Inside a small compartment to the right in the hatchback was a small compressor, a small set of tools (screwdrivers, towing hitch etc) and a tin of wheel sealant. What are my options as would like a spare wheel even a space saver would be ok with a set of wheel removal tools . My son likes the idea of the subwoofer so really don't want to lose that but if it has to be removed its not the end of the world. Just to add the alloy wheels are 18" so if I purchase a space saver wheel what size would he need. Any help would much appreciated. Thanks Colin 

20240227_131942.jpg

20240227_132739.jpg

Edited by WELSHVIKING

Hello Colin, 

Glad to hear the car meets your expectations in all respects - except for the spare wheel.

As I see it, you have what the car was originally equipped with:- a compressor, and a container of tyre sealant. With these, you won’t have had a jack or a wheel brace, since there wasn’t a spare to replace. 
Where to go:- I would be looking on eBay for suitable space saver, and a jack and wheel base and their foam holder. Sub woofer will probably have to be repositioned. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Many thanks guys, just took my 16" space saver out of the Aircross and it looked the exact size when I put it up to the side of the A3 alloy wheels / tyres so I think 16" is the way to go. I just tried to see if the subwoofer would fit inside the Aircross space saver wheel but the sub woofer was too large, maybe fits inside a 17" space saver but not sure. My opinion which you can bet wont be the same as my sons is a spare wheel is much more important as a subwoofer but he will probably disagree 😀. I will see what he says later when he finishes work as can get a 16" space saver and the tools which fit inside the wheel from many places on the old internet. Just another thought would you need different set of wheel nuts for a steel space saver wheels then the ones holding the alloys on. Thanks Colin 

Edited by WELSHVIKING

20 minutes ago, enc said:

My tyres are 225x40x18

Thanks Ian for looking, the same size tyres as my sons so I will look for that particular size space saver (125/70/18) and tools as i know it will fit in the wheel well. Regards Colin 

Edited by WELSHVIKING
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, jasonj said:

Hi Colin .  I am sure he will appreciate it . However bangin tunes will prevail over spare tyres any day  of the week !   

1: You will have to get a set of shorter  Lug Nuts Bolts  because if you use the ones you have on the vehicle they will be to long and go into the disc  upon tightening . .

2: The Thread and Diameter have to be the same . But The length is less . 

2a: So the original  bolts should NOT be used 

3a : I would recommend you source like for like from a motor factor supplier as opposed to online purchasing as this is such an important safety issue .

especially  with a lad thats got a base bin in the boot . Jasonj

Thanks Jason, I thought you would have to get different wheel lugs that's why i asked, will have a look at the main car factors for some. Thanks for your reply. Regards Colin 

Hi Guys, Do you think this one will be Ok (see below) , messaged the guy and he thinks so. My son is not bothered about the wheel being brand new as it will spend most of its time hidden in the lower regions of the hatchback.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/375275304818

Edited by WELSHVIKING

3 hours ago, jasonj said:

Hi Colin .  I am sure he will appreciate it . However bangin tunes will prevail over spare tyres any day  of the week !   

1: You will have to get a set of shorter  Lug Nuts Bolts  because if you use the ones you have on the vehicle they will be to long and go into the disc  upon tightening . .

2: The Thread and Diameter have to be the same . But The length is less . 

2a: So the original  bolts should NOT be used 

3a : I would recommend you source like for like from a motor factor supplier as opposed to online purchasing as this is such an important safety issue .

especially  with a lad thats got a base bin in the boot . Jasonj

Hi can't work out your thinking, you were right about the bolts going into the disc but it will only be going in to the hub boss and no where near the friction surface, the hub flange has to be at least two inches from the bearing housing so worse ways the bolts would only go in an extra 5mm, with the advent of space savers in Europe type approval dictated you could use the same bolts within a 7mm tolerance to accommodate the tin wheel, allied to the fact that most alloy wheels have recessed holes to counter the bite distance between the wheel and flange there fore an extra 5mm of thread wont foul anything.

20 hours ago, jasonj said:

Hi Steve , Well yes , but who knows what wheels are on this car . might have spacers fitted so asked for pics first . Reasonable ?

Jasonj 

Hi I very much doubt it has spacers as they are not factory fitted and my colleague who trades used cars informs me that when they buy from the auction site near me after purchase the wheels are stripped off and the brakes inspected/replaced within the guidelines of the motor trade sale of goods requirements, any spacers are discarded as they were not factory fitted and at most are 4mm and mostly found on aftermarket wheels, the spacers are to correct the wheel offset back to factory tolerances either way they use the existing bolts as these are within spec for the manufacturers 7mm requirement, I think you must be confusing the VAG globalisation policy as you mentioned Triumph Stags which were British Leyland who had different wheel bolts for every model and wheel, this outmoded practice has been scrapped by VAG as every model using the same 17mm bolt is the same, hence globalisation, one part fits ALL.

• Solution

Its amazing how things can happen, was out in the driveway last night and a guy from the top of my street commented how nice my sons A3 looked. He mentioned his son had a 2020 A3 but it got wrote off and he got another car on the insurance. I mentioned I needed a spare wheel and he quickly got on his phone rung his son up and found out he had a 18" Audi spacesaver (125/70/18) in his shed. I bought it from him for £30 , also bought a 2.5T Jack / toolkit from Amazon and am awaiting 5 wheel bolts for the spacesaver from GSF cars. The best thing is the subwoofer fits perfectly inside the spacesaver wheel. My son is a happy chappie  !!!

20240228_185040.jpg

Edited by WELSHVIKING
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, enc said:

Alls well that ends well😀

Certainly does Ian, I get the nice feeling he has got a spare tyre (albeit a spacesaver) if he does have a puncture. He is happy as the subwoofer stays in the hatch  😀

15 hours ago, jasonj said:

Hi Colin , That's great . I commend you . Jasonj

Cheers Jason, its a win win situation , a spare wheel and the subwoofer. Happy Dad and happy son. Only cost £73 for everything as well as had a £20 amazon voucher from work to help with the Jack/Tools.

Edited by WELSHVIKING

Great Colin, Hope said son has been involved in finding and installing this, otherwise they can take it for granted such things just appear out of fresh air! 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1