Intermittent Notchy/Stiff Steering

Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas what could be causing my intermittent notchy steering issue on my 2016 A6 C7.

Recently my steering has varied in resistance when turning at low speeds such as coming out at a junction or doing a three-point turn. When I turn the wheel left or right the steering becoming very stiff and then returns to normal as I turn some more in the same direction. When the wheel is at a degree where it is very stiff and heavy the steering does not naturally return to centre when letting go of the wheel and I have to physically pull it back to centre. This issue comes and goes. I am just back from a 1000 mile road trip around Scotland and this issue only happen on a few occasions. When i arrived home everything was fine until yesterday where it was dreadfully stiff. I went to take it to the garage today and sure enough it worked perfectly fine (typical!).

My mechanic has looked at it several times (annoyingly each time he has the car the steering is back to being perfect) and cannot see any reason why there is an issue. I asked if it could be a rusty universal joint behind the driver’s side foot well but he said if it was that then the stiffness would remain and not be intermittent. He has ran diagnostics several times and cannot find anything to suggest there is an electrical problem with the steering. Any time I have this problem there is never a dashboard warning message. When this issue arises there are never any unsavoury noises like grinding or clunking.

Can anyone think what the issue might be that can cause intermittent steering stiffness?

Many, many thanks in advance 

Has it got electronic power steering? 

If so, how olds the battery? If it's over 5-7 years old then it could be failing which is causing the steering not to work properly as it's drawing a lot of power. 

Hi Steve,

Thanks for responding. Yeah it's electric steering. The battery is at least 4.5 years old and could well be older than that. bBoth myself and my mechanic tested the battery and although it didn't give sterling results (I cant remember voltage reading off the top of my head) it was in a reasonable condition. I'd have though a dashboard warning light would show at the very least if it was battery related. Regardless of whether it is the battery or not I feel it will shortly be time to replace it anyway so maybe when I do change it out the problem will go away. Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Hello Niall, 

I very much agree with Steve, and I think it would be a good move to have the battery tested ( Halfords shops do it) before embarking on any other testing. Batteries get a hammering, and 4.5 years plus could be considered to be good service life these days. Worth getting the alternator output checked at the same time. 
It would be worth you coming back to the forum before committing to buy a replacement - if needed. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

On 4/2/2024 at 1:56 PM, FullnA6C7 said:

Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas what could be causing my intermittent notchy steering issue on my 2016 A6 C7.

Recently my steering has varied in resistance when turning at low speeds such as coming out at a junction or doing a three-point turn. When I turn the wheel left or right the steering becoming very stiff and then returns to normal as I turn some more in the same direction. When the wheel is at a degree where it is very stiff and heavy the steering does not naturally return to centre when letting go of the wheel and I have to physically pull it back to centre. This issue comes and goes. I am just back from a 1000 mile road trip around Scotland and this issue only happen on a few occasions. When i arrived home everything was fine until yesterday where it was dreadfully stiff. I went to take it to the garage today and sure enough it worked perfectly fine (typical!).

My mechanic has looked at it several times (annoyingly each time he has the car the steering is back to being perfect) and cannot see any reason why there is an issue. I asked if it could be a rusty universal joint behind the driver’s side foot well but he said if it was that then the stiffness would remain and not be intermittent. He has ran diagnostics several times and cannot find anything to suggest there is an electrical problem with the steering. Any time I have this problem there is never a dashboard warning message. When this issue arises there are never any unsavoury noises like grinding or clunking.

Can anyone think what the issue might be that can cause intermittent steering stiffness?

Many, many thanks in advance 

Hi I agree with Gareth/Steve the electric steering rack draws about 60amps when operating if its not getting any continuity that will give the symptoms you have.

Steve.