Fuel cap flap

TheBuell

Is the fuel cap flap supposed to be locked when I lock up the car? Locked the car and I could still open the fuel cap flap?!  if it's not lockable, is it possible to retrofit something to lock the cap when I lock the car?

Many thanks,

Alex

Hello Alex,

I believe it should lock. Possible cause - sticky solenoid plunger which moves to lock the cap. Open the flap, and look to the side of the inside recess to locate the plunger, then give it a squirt of WD40. Alternatively, you may need to remove the boot inner side covering and attack/ replace it from there.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Disappointing that Alex is re-visiting the forum, but is not able to react to advice given. 

I've had a look on the forum but I've not yet had the chance to look at the fuel cap recess! I will, soon and get back to you.

• Like 1

Faulty locking mechanism. They're replacing it on Monday. £130, not bad.

2 hours ago, Magnet said:

Not bad!-? 

Hi Gareth considering the part is only about £25 makes you wonder if thats not bad for about an hours work, including tea.

Steve.

• Like 1

Of course you are both right, and on reflection, the £130 charged wasn’t too bad. It’s just my mind would have been set on the very low cost resolution of a squirt of WD40 and a light tap on the offender. 
It’s a Welsh thing of short arms and deep pockets!

Glad it’s fixed, and thanks for returning me to the true scene of economics? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1