Does it have Air Con?

Brad-B5

Hi all 

I was wondering if you know if the 2000 1.9tdi has Air con? 

Since I've had the car its never been working as in I believe it needs a air con ragas and clean but I'm not sure if it has it? it has Econ so is that for the motor to kick out cold air?

If it does, does it mean once on the "LOW" setting for temp it would come on?

Regards

Bradley

Hello Brad.

In my book, if it has a Econ button then it effectively has air conditioning- although I think Audi prefer to call it climate control! 

I believe Econ pressed, means the air con. will not come on.

You should be able to confirm air co. by looking for the large section flexible gas pipes (with tyre type valve) leading to a compressor. Not sure how long you have had the car, but I would expect it would benefit from a re-gas every few years to ensure an adequate supply of cold air through the vents.

You are right in thinking that the air con. should automatically cut in if the temperature is set to Low, but I believe it should also cut in at any time when the outside temperature is higher than the selected inside temperature, and the control set to Auto. 

Sounds like you will be need a re gass Brad. There were offers about- if you come across any good ones could you please let me know since our two cars would benefit from this too.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

I'm with Gareth, I would certainly say your a4 has air con Brad :) 

May just need a regard or air con service. Regis should cost approx £30 and a full service should cost around £60. the worst case scenario for the air con not working is a failed pump/condenser. This is the problem with my a6 but iv been quoted approx £1000 to fix the system! 

In my case i know the air on doesn't work as the car puts econ on automatically and even when turned off it comes back on. 

Cheers

steve

Hey guy's thought so! I have just booked it in for a re gas and clean :) hopefully it still works :s will be fuming if it doesn't work!

Cheers guy's hope all are enjoying this amazing weather! :) (with Air-con on ofc)

For clairty .

Econ pressed means air con off :) 

Econ off means air con on 

Long hold on th4 econ button turns off all fans 

Econ is som kind of economic setting but it does not do a lot in terms of keeping the car cool 

1 hour ago, Brad-B5 said:

Hey guy's thought so! I have just booked it in for a re gas and clean :) hopefully it still works :s will be fuming if it doesn't work!

Cheers guy's hope all are enjoying this amazing weather! :) (with Air-con on ofc)

Your welcome :) 

id love the weather more if my air con worked lol

2 hours ago, Brad-B5 said:

They will test for leaks first by pressurising the system and checking all pipes for a weep. This is the most common reason for aircon failing as the thin aluminium pipes can wear through at points like where they are clamped. Fingers crossed though that all it needs is a re-gas.

32 minutes ago, Brad-B5 said:

Will keep you guys updated, And I haven't been able to come on for a while because of being so busy at work! missing this forum! @Trevor

Missing you too Brad! But it's understandable, work can get busy! 

• Like 1

Hi guys. If your car has a small minor leak over time. You can get these stop leaks to put in with your gas etc. When a vehicle gets older the O rings etc can wear and very small weeps appear.  I know WURTH do one. I've used them in the past and had successful  outcomes. Saves spending a fortune if you have a small leak. Remember to make sure the air con guys put the illuminating dye in when they do It, just in case so you can trace leaks. 

Just a tip just in case they regas it and the gas vanishes again. ROB