Short Journeys

Dr FishFood

Hello all, I am a new member and this is my first post so treat me gently!

I have a 2017 A8 after owning a 2015 for two years. My warning light shows 'Particulate Filter Fault' and the car when idle sounds like a helicopter fan. I am told by Audi break down and the dealer that I should not drive my A8 diesel for short journeys. All my journeys should be long and if, by chance I drive 10 miles to work then I should flash the car up the motorway for 20 to 30 miles at 2000rpm after work. This seems absolutely stupid especially as I have just driven 300 miles to Devon and back. They tell me there is no fault with the car. So I have a luxury car that I cannot drive 10 miles to work. Aghrrr!

So im sure if you google how to burn off dpf there will be plenty of ways 

From what i know 

1. Using vcds you can start burning off procedure with takes about 30 min and you car will be iddeling at high revs 

2 . Constant speed driving , 3rd or 4th gear around 2500 rpm for an hour or 2

But i know this from reading so dont take this for granted . Also you can remove dpf with will eliminate the problem for good. 

But best is to google and see what you can find 

Welcome to the forum Robert :) 

sorry to hear your having issues.

What Audi and Piotr have said is all true. The dpf filter clogs up with soot and particulates from short journeys and is only burned off once the engine and exhaust get really hot. 

We have dpf filters thanks to the stricter and stricter emissions rules and regs. E never had this issue 15 years ago! 

I am surprised Audi did not tell you about the dpf and how a diesel is not best suited for short driving. I know when worked in car sales I mentioned it to customers so they were aware. They should have recommended a petrol for you! 

If the fan is permanently on and as you've had that message it might be worth you taking the car to Audi for them to look at it. Bare in mind though they may not want to cover the cost of the dpf is broken due to it becoming too clogged. The dpf is not cheap to fix and they'll try and replace it which will cost £1000 or more I'd say. 

Hope iv helped 

cheers

steve