At Last!!!

Christian
聽Share

After great advice from you guys in the forums and much deliberation I finally picked up my 2.7 tdi se A6 last week.....hurrah!!!.....what a great machine. I got a great deal too馃憤馃徎 Now obviously I shall, like many be treating this like a new born and want to ensure I look after it. The start will be sourcing a garage to service it in the coming months and wanted to know am I better paying the hefty chunk of change and going to an Audi Main dealership or an聽approved garage? It has a 150k on it and has been Main dealer serviced up to 140 with the last owner doing an oil and filter change at 148,000. As always I appreciate your advice guys.

Nice looking car m8, glad ur happy with ur choice. its personal choice when it comes to maintenance if you have a good garage near you that you trust then let them take care of the car. i use my local garage who are 拢40 an hour as appose to Audi who are about 拢100 an hour for the same work, you do the maths聽:yes:

• Like 1

Very nice car :) and glad our advice helped :)聽

iv always used a local garage :)聽

but forbpeace of mind you can get a free Audi health check carried out :) they also send you a video of any areas on the car that need addressing :)聽

cheers

steve聽

• Like 1

Hello Chris,聽

I echo the sentiments - looks a nice car.聽

My first port of call would be to try to obtain service print outs from the the main dealers who have been servicing the car. This should tell you what has been done and when, since you certainly don't want to be repeating work (particularly expensive work) which has been already carried out.

Continuing main dealer servicing for a car of this age and mileage聽will probably prove to be an uneconomical route, and I would go along with the idea of using a local garage who you have either gathered respect for, or comes with a good recommendation. An alternative would be to use an Audi independent in your area. Perhaps someone could recommend.

Others more familiar with this engine than I will advise whether this is a belt or chain camshaft driven engine and I think it would be wise to search the service history associated with these critical components as a good starting point.聽

Kind regards,

Gareth.

18 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello Chris,聽

I echo the sentiments - looks a nice car.聽

My first port of call would be to try to obtain service print outs from the the main dealers who have been servicing the car. This should tell you what has been done and when, since you certainly don't want to be repeating work (particularly expensive work) which has been already carried out.

Continuing main dealer servicing for a car of this age and mileage聽will probably prove to be an uneconomical route, and I would go along with the idea of using a local garage who you have either gathered respect for, or comes with a good recommendation. An alternative would be to use an Audi independent in your area. Perhaps someone could recommend.

Others more familiar with this engine than I will advise whether this is a belt or chain camshaft driven engine and I think it would be wise to search the service history associated with these critical components as a good starting point.聽

Kind regards,

Gareth.

2.7 and 3.0 units have chain . BMK engine聽can suffer from top tensioners issues and chain rattle . This was fix in ASB engines (second part of 2006) and redesigned in facelifted version CDYA

Thanks, that free health check sounds great - do I just ring audi to organise a date or could I just rock up to my local dealership? To my understanding, It's chain driven so will have a look at its previous maintenance with Audi. The gearbox oil was changed at 140,000 so hopefully I've got another few months before this will need doing again. The 7 speed box is impeccably smooth and the torque is great. A few folk have suggested a re-map to bolster the torque and improve its fuel efficiency but 拢400 is a little expensive ATM given i have just bought it. Here's to more interaction with you guys with more experience than me and I look forward to reading more of your posts, happier聽in the knowledge that I now actually have something to reference too!!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Christian said:

Thanks, that free health check sounds great - do I just ring audi to organise a date or could I just rock up to my local dealership? To my understanding, It's chain driven so will have a look at its previous maintenance with Audi. The gearbox oil was changed at 140,000 so hopefully I've got another few months before this will need doing again. The 7 speed box is impeccably smooth and the torque is great. A few folk have suggested a re-map to bolster the torque and improve its fuel efficiency but 拢400 is a little expensive ATM given i have just bought it. Here's to more interaction with you guys with more experience than me and I look forward to reading more of your posts, happier聽in the knowledge that I now actually have something to reference too!!!

You need to book the free health check聽

• Like 1

Thanks Piotr. So Chris should be looking closely through the service history to ensure something has already been done regarding the chain tensioners then?聽

Chris:- Gearbox oil changed - OK for a few months. I thought Audi don't actually specify gearbox oil changes, so if it's been changed then that is a bonus,聽and should not need doing again for years.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

29 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Thanks Piotr. So Chris should be looking closely through the service history to ensure something has already been done regarding the chain tensioners then?聽

Chris:- Gearbox oil changed - OK for a few months. I thought Audi don't actually specify gearbox oil changes, so if it's been changed then that is a bonus,聽and should not need doing again for years.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Normally chain is not part of the service schedule and only will be worked on if there is a problem聽

Point taken, but I think I聽possibly did not聽explain聽my suggestion correctly? 聽:-

If these聽tensioners can be problematic, then it is quite possible that this work has already been carried out and then recorded as work -done. I wasn't suggesting that they formed聽part of the normal servicing items.聽

Kind regards,

Gareth.

42 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Point taken, but I think I聽possibly did not聽explain聽my suggestion correctly? 聽:-

If these聽tensioners can be problematic, then it is quite possible that this work has already been carried out and then recorded as work -done. I wasn't suggesting that they formed聽part of the normal servicing items.聽

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Chain and tensioners is a 拢1500+job so i dont think so . Chain is located at the back of the engine so it needs to come out. Google or聽youtube chain rattle on a6 , there is a very destinctive sound if its happening . Usually starts with 2-3 seconds rattle on engine聽start , then it gets worse and constant聽