Common Fuse for Reverse, Fog and Number Plate Light and Boot?

Hi Folks,

As of yesterday, my 2008 A3 Cabriolet warns me that the reverse lights, rear fog lights and number plate light are out of action. Also, the key fob won't open the boot. And every time I brake, the rear parking sensor beeps - and this is while going forwards. This stinks of an electrical fault, and apart from the braking/parking sensor thing, sounds like a burnt out fuse. The only thing is that my manual doesn't seem to mention the rear lights or boot catch in the fuse table, so I've no idea which one to check. I've included photos of the relevant manual pages, in case I'm pretty going mad and failing to read properly!

Anyone got any clue what I can check? Or what fuse this would be, if they all go through a common fuse?

And all this only a day after I got a safety recall notice about the car!

Cheers, Drew

IMG_2536.JPG

IMG_2535.JPG

IMG_2534.JPG

Cheers Cliff, do you reckon this is something my local garage could have a stab at or is something better suited for a main Audi service centre? I've never really had any problems like this on any of my cars, only more clear-cut mechanical problems. I've have had mixed results with local garages, but then the proper Audi garage will be about twice the price!

Main dealer, local garage, auto electrician: you pays your money and you takes your choice. It depends on how competent they each are, and I really can't judge. If you car is being recalled to a main dealer for other reasons I suggest letting them test the electrics while there, then decide what to do. Is it possible the recall is because of electrical problems?

• 3 years later...

An old post I appreciate but wonder if you solved this, I have same thing happening. Read somewhere else that taking a live feed from battery to reg plate bulb will solve but not tried yet. Apparently doing this with the live wire “reminds” the ECU that it should be sending power to the boot lid. Sounds odd but worth a go I’d think.

Thanks 

Hello Scott,

Before doing any bodges, check for breaks  in the wiring in the fluted rubber section where the harness runs from the body to the boot. Quite common for there to be issues there, due to the flexing of the harness as the boot is openes and closes -  particularly in cold weather, when the wires become more rigid. 

Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

So, i have fixed it, problem was a broken wire after all, one of the wires inside the black rubber gaitor/sleeve that goes between the body to the boot lid. It had been repaired in the past and was the thicker brown wire. I didn’t see this on first inspection as the repair was good being done with solder so I thought the chances of it having broken again were slim - a wrong assumption on my part. Having gently pulled at the wire, I was delighted when it came out one end broken as I knew then that it was mystery solved and an easy fix. All lights working together with boot lid release button which is working from key fob too. 
Thanks for the input and happy motoring. 

There we are Scott. So you’ve learned something new today then!

Glad the forum was able to sort it for you. 

Bodges are bodges, fault finding is an art! 

Kind regards,

Gareth.