POOR FUEL ECONOMY

Buester Buey
聽Share

Hi everybody I'm new to the forum just purchased an a4 2.0Tdi 2013 model a聽couple of weeks ago.Cars drives lovely but the fuel economy is quite poor.I did lots of bobbing around town today and only got an average of 31mpg?

Surely this isn't right.Can anybody shed any light on this for me.any help would be greatly appreciated 馃榾

Hello Ian,

"Bobbing around town" may be the clue to this, coupled with a large car with a not too big an engine capacity to move it around. Of course, there may be some issue with it, but it may be meaningful to do some mixed driving,聽some long distance no-stops runs,聽and get three sets of figures to compare with what others聽may say they get with their same models.聽

Manual or automatic?聽

Kind regards,

Gareth.聽

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum :)聽

youll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :)聽

i have to agree with Gareth on this one and would say your poor mpg is due to your town driving. Also if you only do this type of driving then you should take it on a good motorway run once a week to prevent the diesel particulate filter (dpf) from blocking.聽

Cheers

steve

• Like 1

It realy can be a mixed bag when it comes to mpg and it mainly comes down to type of driving (as Magnet mentioned) and driving style. With my聽A3 2.0 TDI on a 43 mile trip to work I have had as much as just over 60mpg or as little as 22mpg.聽

A good test would be to take it on a good run on the motorway. 50mph in 5th is got spot for the 2.0 TDI in general and should see you at 50+ mpg easy if not more!

Apologies for adding to Robin's advice, but I would do the motorway testing at the higher speed of around 58 mph rather than 50mph, since 58聽this is the recognised speed at which most engines are said to be operating at their maximum economy. If it turns out to be an automatic, then these would not get into the highest gears until over 50mph.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

9 hours ago, Magnet said:

Apologies for adding to Robin's advice, but I would do the motorway testing at the higher speed of around 58 mph rather than 50mph, since 58聽this is the recognised speed at which most engines are said to be operating at their maximum economy. If it turns out to be an automatic, then these would not get into the highest gears until over 50mph.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Fair point never thought about the auto's! 馃槉