S6 - On the hunt....

road2ruin

Afternoon,

Hoping that I can get a quick bit of advice.

I have been looking for an S6 for a while and came across one that, on paper, looked good. 55,000 miles across 10 years, 3 owners with the last having owned for 7 years. FSH with new timing chains plus lots of receipts etc. 

I have just been on the phone to the dealer as I wanted a bit more info about the work that had done and I was informed that they had issues with the car when it had come into stock as it had suffered from carbon build up which had caused the engine to suffer from compression issues. Due to this they replaced the entire engine (reconditioned) at a cost of £9,500 which is the point when they had all the new guides and chains replaced as they did not want to have any further issues with the car in the future. 

The dealer looks reputable and has good online reviews however looking for advice from those who know these cars better than I. Would the information given above put you off completely or would it still be worth a look?

TIA

1 hour ago, road2ruin said:

at a cost of £9,500

1st thing that jumps out at me is already this car is going to be overpriced the dealer will want to make most of that £9500 back on top of the price they are asking, out of interest what  asking price? bearing in mind this car is 10 years old

Hi Paul, it’s listed at £17k which doesn’t feel overpriced to me given what else I’ve seen out there......although happy to be corrected on that. I wonder whether the £9,500 figure might be what it would have cost for the job had it been done at Audi however not what they paid given it was done in house?

5 minutes ago, road2ruin said:

Hi Paul, it’s listed at £17k which doesn’t feel overpriced to me given what else I’ve seen out there......although happy to be corrected on that. I wonder whether the £9,500 figure might be what it would have cost for the job had it been done at Audi however not what they paid given it was done in house?

maybe a grand over priced what i seen for year and mileage do you know what specs and packs included in the car. being an S6 i would expect its got all the bells and whistles 

According to the listing;

Audi parking system advanced

Electric tilt/slide sunroof

Pearl effect paint

BOSE sound system

Adaptive lights

Privacy glass

Load area fixing kit

Storage pack

Carbon atlas - no idea what that is?

They reckon £4K worth of extras  

5 minutes ago, road2ruin said:

Carbon atlas - no idea what that is?

just a fancy name for interior trim lol

All i`ll say is make sure whats listed from the dealer is actually on or in the car m8

Sounds like a nice find m8 i`m sure others will be along shortly with some more input on what to look out for

I`m no expert on engines but i know the S6 has a V10 engine borrowed from the Lamborghini Gallardo and if i was buying this car i would make sure its replacement engine is the same V10 type. i`m sure it will be but you have to be sure when £17000 is the asking price

Just now, Paul A6 said:

I`m no expert on engines but i know the S6 has a V10 engine borrowed from the Lamborghini Gallardo and if i was buying this car i would make sure its replacement engine is the same V10 type. i`m sure it will be but you have to be sure when £17000 is the asking price

A question that I have already asked and they've assured me that the engine that was donated was exactly the same as the one that it replaced and had done 60k miles. They have also said that it will come with a 12 month warranty. My experience of warranties isn't the best so I'm more concerned about what people's feelings are about buying a motor with a reconditioned engine in it.

I guess if it's been done properly then there's no issues however that might not be something I find out until further down the line. On the flip side I could buy with the original engine and it goes bang in 6 months time anyway so you never really know!!

• Like 1

My only misgiving with a recon engine is honesty, by this i mean just how honest are the people who supplied the engine that it actually did the 60k they claim and not 125k it could have done.

i`m not trying to dampen your spirits as it sounds like a nice car you have found but there are some engine rebuild cowboys out there, came across a few on the watchdog program only takes a few to tarnish the rest sadly

4 minutes ago, Paul A6 said:

found this car in surrey near you a bit cheaper but miles a little higher 

http://cardealltd.co.uk/vehicle/name/audi-s6-s6-v10/?utm_source=carsnip&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=carsnip

Paul, I really appreciate this thank you, I'll have a look at this and give them a call. To be honest if it has a decent service history the higher miles don't bother me plus the fact that I don't do a huge amount of miles anyway. 

In answer to your last post, I agree about the honesty side of things. Having done the research on the dealer I would probably trust what they say however as you've pointed out, it would boil down to where the other engine came from. 

Looking at it these cars aren't actually a million miles apart, I might go and have a look at both.

Firstly 5.2 lambo engine that is in s6 is just fantastic!!!! 

None of the items you have listed are extras... 

Very expensive to run and even more expensive to fix 

Post here the reg and vin no. I should be able to check any history for you 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, niedzial1983 said:

Firstly 5.2 lambo engine that is in s6 is just fantastic!!!! 

None of the items you have listed are extras... 

Very expensive to run and even more expensive to fix 

Post here the reg and vin no. I should be able to check any history for you 

I’ve done a fair amount of research into the car so am entering into this with eyes wide open, having come from M3’s and RRS’s I’ve become accustomed to the ease with which they lighten your wallet! :)

I done have the vin no. however the reg is RK57 PDZ.  I did a car check on it earlier and all seemed to check out but appreciate any further info that you might be able to provide. 

Get vin. I have a friend at audi that gives history for free. Also have you got any pics of the car or link to the advert ?

3 minutes ago, road2ruin said:

I’ve done a fair amount of research into the car so am entering into this with eyes wide open, having come from M3’s and RRS’s I’ve become accustomed to the ease with which they lighten your wallet! :)

I done have the vin no. however the reg is RK57 PDZ.  I did a car check on it earlier and all seemed to check out but appreciate any further info that you might be able to provide. 

2 minutes ago, niedzial1983 said:

Get vin. I have a friend at audi that gives history for free. Also have you got any pics of the car or link to the advert ?

Cheers, will speak with them tomorrow morning and get that info. 

Ad link here;

https://www.randwmotorcompany.co.uk/audi-s6-avant-quattro-5dr-in-berkshire-6230354

Also ask the dealer 

- warranty how long ? Usualy dealer will give up to a year after sale 

- engine swap who did it ? Invoices for engine and the job. You dont want to have a  engine from a stolen s6 :)

- between 2014 - 2016 car did almost 0 miles , why? 

- no mot in 2015/2016

Just few things i pick up checking the reg 

The warranty is 12 months, that I know. 

The engine swap was done in house and I’d already sent over an email asking for more information as to where the donor engine came from. 

You seem to have far better info than my car check (AA) came up with!

3 minutes ago, road2ruin said:

Cheers, will speak with them tomorrow morning and get that info. 

Ad link here;

https://www.randwmotorcompany.co.uk/audi-s6-avant-quattro-5dr-in-berkshire-6230354

Looks great. All bits are period correct and original with is hard to find as ppl usualy modify them . This could be a real gem :) fingers crossed its mechnicaly sound. 

3 minutes ago, niedzial1983 said:

That’s really useful, thank you!

23 minutes ago, road2ruin said:

The warranty is 12 months, that I know. 

The engine swap was done in house and I’d already sent over an email asking for more information as to where the donor engine came from. 

You seem to have far better info than my car check (AA) came up with!

Cool. So whats the real milage ? The replacment engine wasnt new i preume so it must have some miles.