S6 - On the hunt....

road2ruin

According to the dealer the donor engine has 62k however I’ve asked for a bit more info as to the history of this engine etc. 

I’ve had another check on the car and you’re right about the MOT side of things. According to the dealer it has all the required service stamps at the required intervals however at the same time is missing MOT’s in ‘14 & ‘15. Had one in early ‘16 but then not again until very recently. 

It also appears that it’s been untaxed since  Oct ‘14.

Don't forget to see if they have the service history for the recon engine. I appreciate you have seen the history for the car but the recon engine will have it's own story to tell. If they've fitted an engine but have no service history for it then you could end up with various problems if it's not been maintained properly. 

Cheers

Steve 

5 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Don't forget to see if they have the service history for the recon engine. I appreciate you have seen the history for the car but the recon engine will have it's own story to tell. If they've fitted an engine but have no service history for it then you could end up with various problems if it's not been maintained properly. 

Cheers

Steve 

Thanks Steve, I've spoken to the dealership and they have full service history for the donor engine which has done 63,000.

12 hours ago, niedzial1983 said:

Also ask the dealer 

- warranty how long ? Usualy dealer will give up to a year after sale 

- engine swap who did it ? Invoices for engine and the job. You dont want to have a  engine from a stolen s6 :)

- between 2014 - 2016 car did almost 0 miles , why? 

- no mot in 2015/2016

Just few things i pick up checking the reg 

Piotr, I have spoken to the dealer today and got the full background on what happened with this car and why it has a random history across the last 3 or so years.

He bought it as a p/x in 2014, it had the engine management light on due to a small misfire. He took a risk on it as he thought it was a coilpack however it turned out that incorrect oil had been put into the engine on it's last service and had caused the carbon build up with essentially caused the complete failure of the engine. 

The car has spent the last few years in the shop whilst he hunted round for an engine that was exactly the same as the one that had gone bang and he said it's not easy as a lot that he came across where in a very poor state. He finally found one a few months back and it's been in his shop being put back together with the new parts being fitted on. He has the invoices which amount to £9,771.00 which is what it has taken him to get it back into the state it's in now. It's just having a final service now and will be viewable early next week. I've only spoken with him over email and on the phone however he's been very open with the issues and the hole that this car has left him in financially, circa £25,000 including the px he originally did the deal on. 

He also emailed across the VIN no so if you do have a way of double checking anything I'd greatly appreciate it. The number is WAUZZZ4F17N138057

On 16/12/2017 at 9:55 AM, niedzial1983 said:

I have send the vin to the guy. Hope he will reply. 

Did you see see the car yet ?

Thanks for your help on this.

I did go and see the car and it's pretty straight, paperwork is all good and there doesn't seem any particular reason not to believe what the dealer has said so far.

My issue at the moment is that if it's taking me this long to make a decision on whether to go for it now is it going to be a nightmare to shift when it comes to sell it further down the line. I think I might pass on it and just keep looking, there's no particular rush.

As you know you're never going to get back what you pay for a car and as said before running costs and expensive repair bills have to be taken into consideration, what made to look at the S6 was it the large engine or styling of the avant because £17,000 would get you a nice A6 Avant and will be easier to sale on if you ever wanted to

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year all!

Thank you for the input pre-Christmas, all very useful and gave food for thought. 

In the end I decided against the whole S6 plan, on my budget the ones I looked at were too much of a compromise and I couldn't stretch to the required amount of money. I did take an A6 out for a run around and it was a nice car, it just wasn't what I was looking for. I decided to have a look at the S4, a little smaller but comparable to the car that I was in. 

Anyway, short story, having taken a number out and really enjoying the experience I pushed the button on this.....

So far really pleased and is a really enjoyable motor! :)

Audi S4 Avant.jpeg

• Like 1