Clutch failed twice in 34000 miles

CB1

I bought an A4 Avant (B8, 65 plate) from a main dealer in June 2016. It had 10,000 miles on the clock. It started juddering at about 12000 miles, and ended up needing a new DMF and clutch - all done under warranty. The juddering started again a few weeks ago, so I took it back to my local main dealer. They couldn't find a problem on a (very short) test drive, but eventually agreed to take the gearbox out. I've been told that the clutch has burned out, and has to be replaced, but not under warranty this time. The manufacturer's warranty runs to September this year. I know they class a clutch as a wear and tear part, but I've not had a clutch problem in 24 years of driving, and this car has needed 2 clutches in 34000 miles. I'm suspicious that there's an underlying mechanical problem they either don't want to tell me about, or don't want to look for. Any suggestions on where to go from here, and how worried to be about the car? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum Chris, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

I have to say it's the first time I've heard of 2 clutches going inside 34k miles. When it went to Audi the second time did they take the gearbox out or just replaced the clutch and DMF? 

I'm assuming the gear changes are smooth? 

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply. I’m pretty sure they took the gearbox out this time, to investigate the judder. The clutch has been replaced now, and I’m collecting the car later today. Gear changes are reasonably smooth, although it can be a bit stiff early on, and overall probably not as smooth as my previous cars (a series of Golfs).

1 hour ago, CB1 said:

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply. I’m pretty sure they took the gearbox out this time, to investigate the judder. The clutch has been replaced now, and I’m collecting the car later today. Gear changes are reasonably smooth, although it can be a bit stiff early on, and overall probably not as smooth as my previous cars (a series of Golfs).

You're welcome :) 

Let's hope that this clutch is better. It could just be a faulty batch of clutches which wouldn't be unheard of. 

I'll also be intrigued to see what they flag up on the free health check they carry out. Do you know when the gearbox oil was last changed? 

Keep us posted on how you get on. 

Cheers

Steve

Hello Chris,

A couple of points:- is this 2015 car still within its 36 months warranty? 

Was the clutch first replaced less than 12 months ago? 

Hope you are not fitting the bill! 

Kind regard, 

Gareth.