Coil springs gone. Anti roll bar ball joint worn and offside rear suspension arm has corroded.

Jack98

Hi everyone new here👍 I’ve recently just had my Audi fail it’s MOT test due to front and offside rear coil springs gone and all four of my anti roll bar ball joints worn and my suspension arm corroded. I’ve been offered £380 for the parts and labour but busy due to high demand so I’ve been asking about for quotes hoping to find one cheapest and quickest to be done. I’m wondering if anyone here has had any similar jobs done and the costs it would usually take? I know it’s not going to be a quick fix obviously but I’ve been offered from £380-£1000+ Which is stupid! So I want to know exactly what I’m looking at so I don’t get over charged or if anyone has got any info they can share I’d be much appreciative.

best regards
Jack

Hello Jack,

Thanks for being in touch.

I can understand your wish to get this work done as cheaply as possible, but your quest should be aimed at getting quality parts fitted for the best possible price, since buying the cheapest parts can result in the jobs needing to be done again in a relatively short space of time. 
£380 would seem reasonable, but it will be rather difficult to recommend anyone in your area, and I think it boils down to finding a local garage who quotes you as near to this as possible - using quality parts - and who you have confidence in their work, or reputation. 
As always, aim to spend once and wisely. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Unfortunately Jack hasn’t returned to the forum since shortly after his original post, so it looks like any advice given has not been received. Not sure what more the forum can do. 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 8:14 AM, Magnet said:

Unfortunately Jack hasn’t returned to the forum since shortly after his original post, so it looks like any advice given has not been received. Not sure what more the forum can do. 

Gareth. Can you, as a moderator, see when people revisit the forum after their initial query? I am interested to know whether our questionners who never provide follow up information have actually seen our reponses or if they are simply too ungracious to aknowledge them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cliffcoggin said:

Gareth. Can you, as a moderator, see when people revisit the forum after their initial query? I am interested to know whether our questionners who never provide follow up information have actually seen our reponses or if they are simply too ungracious to aknowledge them.

Hi don't tell me yourself and Gareth don't know someone who will do it for £200 including genuine parts, as I said before they buy these cars based on a myth of never going wrong, they don't do the what if calculation based on the age and milage plus history they just soak up the thought of riding round in an Audi which is apparently invincible, as realistic and experienced individuals we know better but I can't help but be in awe of yourself and Gareths tenacity and resolve to keep trying to answer some of the inane questions on here, I too share your frustration Cliff.

Steve.

Hello Cliff,

Many thanks for the valid comments. 

It’s becoming increasingly frustrating to find ourselves - hopefully- offering  constructive advice to posters, only to find, as you say, that they cannot even be bothered to return to view that advice, leave alone acknowledge it. 
You can add that to the all too often ‘….done/checked/replaced that’ responses received in reply to suggestions made, since the poster has omitted to let the forum know what has and hasn’t been done, as a history of the issue. 
Is this forum alone in suffering from such ungracious lack of follow ups? - I seriously doubt it. 
I’m old and grizzly, and don’t take kindly to the …’ I want, you advise, I don’t thank you…..’ brigade, and it is indeed very refreshing when thanks are tendered. 
I’ll pass your post on to the administrators Cliff. 
Many thanks again and kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello Cliff,

Many thanks for the valid comments. 

It’s becoming increasingly frustrating to find ourselves - hopefully- offering  constructive advice to posters, only to find, as you say, that they cannot even be bothered to return to view that advice, leave alone acknowledge it. 
You can add that to the all too often ‘….done/checked/replaced that’ responses received in reply to suggestions made, since the poster has omitted to let the forum know what has and hasn’t been done, as a history of the issue. 
Is this forum alone in suffering from such ungracious lack of follow ups? - I seriously doubt it. 
I’m old and grizzly, and don’t take kindly to the …’ I want, you advise, I don’t thank you…..’ brigade, and it is indeed very refreshing when thanks are tendered. 
I’ll pass your post on to the administrators Cliff. 
Many thanks again and kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth on one of the Ford forums I was on there was a guy who was head of powertrain control at Dunton and his favourite answer always was, no one can help you if you don't give all the information you can supply, they either went away or stumped up with the goods and achieved a result, I often wondered why so many posts went unanswered, I now know why, a complete lack of information, codes where possible are the Holy Grail of engine management problems and decent pictures are the key to any other faults, still I suppose the majority of the posters are happy and thankful when they get replies and a result and that makes the key board pounding worth the effort.

Steve.

• Like 1

The Ford forum  sounds a very interesting and worthwhile approach Steve.
As Steve Q rightly claims - we are a friendly and helpful bunch - and I think he is right. Too helpful sometimes?? 
personally, I find it increasingly difficult not to be helpful - if I can, so where from here?? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Magnet said:

The Ford forum  sounds a very interesting and worthwhile approach Steve.
As Steve Q rightly claims - we are a friendly and helpful bunch - and I think he is right. Too helpful sometimes?? 
personally, I find it increasingly difficult not to be helpful - if I can, so where from here?? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth the only thing that can be done is when taking on a new signee make sure that they have to read the propriety section and further to that if they post a problem they must supply ALL information pertaining to that fault, codes/pictures, after all that is a small price to pay for joining a forum with no subscription and last but not least inform the forum if the advice given was successful.

Steve.

• Like 1