Replacing lock/unlock switch on driver’s door card

gsmdo

The lock/unlock switch on the driver’s side door card on the convertible has had a hard life. Since I can get a new eBay replacement for just over six quid, I thought I’d fit a new one.

F49FB01A-8B23-4022-967B-D39C9B417AD2.thumb.jpeg.933e5ef7a9b416034c834ba243f28df0.jpeg

Do I need to remove the door card to replace it, or can I prise it out with a spudger or similar? 

Cheers,

Mike 😎

Well, good news and bad. You do need to remove the door card to change the switch, which is held in place by a couple of metal spring clips. None of the new style door card clips broke when removing and refitting the card! 😃

Unfortunately, that's the end of the good news. The switch I'd bought from eBay has a different connector on it - so couldn't be used. Plus I ham-fistedly managed to break the old switch getting it out 🤦‍♂️

To rub salt into the wound - Audi have discontinued the switch (part number is 8E2 962 1085 PR), so I've ordered a used part from eBay, leaving the plug hanging out of the hole in the door card.  It'll be a simple matter of connecting the plug and then popping it into the housing when it arrives. I'm going to see if I can replace the cover (which was the only snag) of the switch when it arrives with that of the switch. I bought it from China, and I'm not going to bother going through the rigmarole of returning it.

Ho-hum.

How about those door card clips, though! 😃😆

Edited by gsmdo

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a lunched rear window switch to change, so looks like I'll be popping the door card off for that. I'll be sure to get some of those clips on order... You should be earning a commission🤣

Ian 

• Haha 1