DPF & EGR delete

Ca11um43

Has anybody deleted the DPF and EGR on a 2.0 TDI, then successfully passed an MOT? Is it possible, or not even worth the hassle? I'm looking at buying a 2009+ Audi A3 as a daily, with the 2.0 TDI engine. It's literally perfect for what I'm after, except I never really do long journeys, so I have a feeling that the DPF and EGR getting clogged up is going to be an issue. 

Edited by Ca11um43

3 hours ago, Ca11um43 said:

Has anybody deleted the DPF and EGR on a 2.0 TDI, then successfully passed an MOT? Is it possible, or not even worth the hassle? I'm looking at buying a 2009+ Audi A3 as a daily, with the 2.0 TDI engine. It's literally perfect for what I'm after, except I never really do long journeys, so I have a feeling that the DPF and EGR getting clogged up is going to be an issue. 

not even worth the hassle

• Like 1

Hello Callum,

As Roy says - why concern yourself unless you actually have trouble - we will forget about the MOT implications! 
The best person on here to advise you is Steve Y, since his car is a working taxi, probably covering multiple short runs, as well as mixed driving. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

25 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello Callum,

As Roy says - why concern yourself unless you actually have trouble - we will forget about the MOT implications! 
The best person on here to advise you is Steve Y, since his car is a working taxi, probably covering multiple short runs, as well as mixed driving. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

It's not something I would do unless I have to...I'm just trying to get an idea of what my options are if it does happen 🤷‍♂️ A few of my family members and friends have had diesel cars for years, doing short journeys. Some of those cars have never had an issue with getting clogged up, but some have. So it obviously depends on the car. I have no experience with these 2.0 TDI engines, or Audi's in general, so I'm not sure what the chances of having DPF and EGR problems are. 

A friend of mine recently bought a Lexus 220D, and within a month the DPF and EGR became clogged up. He tried going on long drives to regen it, tried multiple DPF cleaners, etc etc and nothing worked. In the end he had no choice but to just get both deleted, and get a remap to turn the warning lights off. According to the person who did the work, it will still pass an MOT. But he hasn't been for an MOT yet, since having that work done, so only time will tell how that works out for him.

Edited by Ca11um43

1 hour ago, Ca11um43 said:

According to the person who did the work, it will still pass an MOT.

DPF is a visual check only.

You can rip the guts out of it but it still has to be seen to be there.

Same with the EGR.

But it will still have to pass emissions test. 

When ever my DPF light comes on I just sit on the drive and rev flat out untill it goes out.

23 minutes ago, RoyC said:

DPF is a visual check only.

You can rip the guts out of it but it still has to be seen to be there.

Same with the EGR.

But it will still have to pass emissions test. 

When ever my DPF light comes on I just sit on the drive and rev flat out untill it goes out.

As long as it's not going to cause any major issues, then I'm fine with it...I have no plans to remap this car, or really do anything major to it unless I have to 🤷‍♂️ Like I said, all the stuff I know about diesels is based on family and friends cars over the years, as I've never owned one (partly because of the stories I hear about DPF's not liking short journeys). 

I have another friend with a diesel A1 who only does short journeys, and he hasn't had an issue with his so far. So maybe Audi's just handle it better. Which is good to hear. 

My 2 litre diesel never had any problems doing mainly short (<30 miles) on slow country roads, plus the occasional 40 miles motorway journey.

That you would even consider increasing atmospheric pollution by removing the DPF and EGR is appalling.

Hello again Callum,

I think it’s good to do homework and take advice, but there is a point at which negative publicity and even friend’s experience simply causes concern about something which just might not happen. 
I think it needs to be considered that bad experiences are going to be documented, when good experiences aren’t, but if you are the worrying type then you just have to go with your gut feeling, and I get the impression that you have too many bad vibes about buying a diesel for yourself. 
As I said earlier, Steve Y will be your man with unrivalled experience in this field, and I’m sure he will also have a whole lot of other taxi owners who’s experience can be added. 
Is it worth you putting a positive hat on until this experience comes through? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello again Callum,

I think it’s good to do homework and take advice, but there is a point at which negative publicity and even friend’s experience simply causes concern about something which just might not happen. 
I think it needs to be considered that bad experiences are going to be documented, when good experiences aren’t, but if you are the worrying type then you just have to go with your gut feeling, and I get the impression that you have too many bad vibes about buying a diesel for yourself. 
As I said earlier, Steve Y will be your man with unrivalled experience in this field, and I’m sure he will also have a whole lot of other taxi owners who’s experience can be added. 
Is it worth you putting a positive hat on until this experience comes through? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I am more than happy to give it a try. I have been pretty set on buying a diesel since deciding to get a new daily...My opinion on them isn't purely based on what I've been told by family and friends, but I have used the information from them to do a bit more research and answer a few more questions 🤷‍♂️ Which was the whole point of this post. I wasn't saying that I'm definitely going to do a DPF and EGR delete, because in fact, if I can avoid it then that's what I would prefer. But if it did get to a point where those deletes and a remap were my only option, finding out whether it's possible now will just save all the hassle if it did ever come to that. 

Based on what I've been told so far on this forum, I'm pretty happy that it's not going to be an issue any way.