ATF fluid change

Coldevolution2

Hi Guys,

Dec 2018 Audi A6 C8, due ATF fluid change. (Every 60k Klm) Audi technician says they just change ATF fluid not filters etc, no need to do anything but drain and change ATF.  C8 saloon should take 3.6 Ltrs approx but only 2.5 drained out.  Anyone on the forum completed this service to auto box.  Not sure if I should still put in the what Audi recommend or only what came out?  Thanks any ideas would be great..

Hello Ian,

So has this 4 year old car covered 60k klms yet? I could well be wrong, but I would have thought that c40kish miles was rather premature. 
I’m open to other opinions, but if this were mine, I would certainly do a proper job of it ( when necessary) and change the filters and the full fluid volume. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

Called over to the main Audi dealer and spoke with technician.  They recommend just to change the ATF no need at 60klm to change filters etc.  I have the kit for change popped the car up on the ramp at my trusted mechanics replaced the ATF only to see...  Put in the ATF ran diagnostics on temp of atf while selecting Drive reverse etc... It did take the 3.6 ltrs ok but now the car wont move and has applied hand brake.  Doing full diagnostics to see whats going on...

Old ATF fluid was a bit dirty and did need changed, as car has done 72k klm.. If we cannot clear issue will drop out plastic cover and replace with full kit and refill. 

Best Regards

Ian

https://www.auto-doc.ie/vaico/16188200

https://www.auto-doc.ie/vaico/14769996

This is the kit I have to install, for the service.  Just to clarify I was not able to get a Mann filter set as they do not have it yet. The second link is oil only plus bungs to replace.

Hello Ian,

Sorry to hear you have a created issue with the attempts to carryout your fluid change. 
Too late now, but I think usual change convention is 75k miles and not 75klms. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

thought that myself... But its Audi that informed me the car is due ATF change at 60,000 klm.  C8 Model.  Was surprised myself.  I  did google German Audi sites to check, and its 5 years or 60k klm on most sites.  Will get it all sorted today. 

Best Regards

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

All sorted... Mechanic figured out the amount must be 3.5ltr ATF and a reset to the the hydra pump.  All faults automatically cleared and car running well.  Car effectively protected itself from any damage, which to be fair was clever.  Thank you Gareth...   Will need to do a new question...

• Like 1

My Q5 S Tronic DSG just hit 40K miles and there is an ATF change recommended + filter - the garage could only get 3.5l in even though it recommends 4l- no other work required.

It's expensive stuff - @ £25+ per litre

40k miles 60k klm.... Sounds correct Richard.  I did not change filters even though I have them, as Audi Limerick advised they do not change them, just ATF fluid.  I have ordered a new Rosstech cable to run diagnostics to see what the car has filed as faults since ATF change.  I have opened a new question in relation to ADBlue pump.  Should not be connected to ATF fluid change.