Wheels from 18 to 19 - pro and con

Karol3dd

Hi everyone,

I thinking about upgrade wheels from 18 to 19 on my b9. Ideally would be to get 19 rotors from b8. Can i ask for help with making decision coz i'm bit worried about losing performance over just better look. What else need upgrading in suspension when i change rims from 18 to 19? What are pro and con?

23 hours ago, Karol3dd said:

Hi everyone,

I thinking about upgrade wheels from 18 to 19 on my b9. Ideally would be to get 19 rotors from b8. Can i ask for help with making decision coz i'm bit worried about losing performance over just better look. What else need upgrading in suspension when i change rims from 18 to 19? What are pro and con?

Hi you can use the 19 inch wheels as long as you choose a tyre profile that brings the wheel O/D to the same size as the original 18 inch wheel, pros it looks better, cons low profile tyres suffer more punctures and bigger wheels are heavier.

Steve.

• 1 month later...

Hi Karol3dd,

Not sure you've already made your decision or not - but I just purchased a 2019 a4 b9 with 19" wheels (fitted originally since it's an S-Line) and I am thinking about replacing them to 18". IMO the ride is kinda too rough and I also am not a big fan of such low profile. It's 245/35, which is in my opinion way too low. 

Cheers,

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Evening all, I know this is a year old now but if someone can help that would be really appreciated.

I've done far too much reading and can't see the wood for the trees now.  I have a standard stock sport 2016 B9 Avant with stock 17" wheels ET 38/9 I think.   Im looking to upgrade to 18" rotors but for the life of me can't find genuine 18 rotors that come off an A4 /A5.  There seems to be a surplus of either 19"s off A4/A5 or 18" rotors that come off A3/A1.  The latter are 112 but the ET range are in the 50s.  My question is, I thought the ET shouldn't stray more than 5mm from the stock, so would these A3/A1 rotors either not work on an A4, or would they look ridiculous?.  I was also thinking of changing tyres to 225 45 instead of the standard 245 40 profile, just to keep the comfort levels up on the the sport suspension - I  have 50 profiles just now, it's a family car and lots of miles for work mean i need to balance comfort and looks - hence not really keen to go to 19".  Also would prefer not to get replicas -worried about quality safety....

Does anyone have any thoughts or photos of what the A3/A1 18"would be like on a 2016 A4 Avant??  I'm in Scotland so roads are not the greatest for our potholes etc.

Your tube access help is really appreciated!

Evening all, I know this is a year old now but if someone can help that would be really appreciated.

I've done far too much reading and can't see the wood for the trees now.  I have a standard stock sport 2016 B9 Avant with stock 17" wheels ET 38/9 I think.   Im looking to upgrade to 18" rotors but for the life of me can't find genuine 18 rotors that come off an A4 /A5.  There seems to be a surplus of either 19"s off A4/A5 or 18" rotors that come off A3/A1.  The latter are 112 but the ET range are in the 50s.  My question is, I thought the ET shouldn't stray more than 5mm from the stock, so would these A3/A1 rotors either not work on an A4, or would they look ridiculous?.  I was also thinking of changing tyres to 225 45 instead of the standard 245 40 profile, just to keep the comfort levels up on the the sport suspension - I  have 50 profiles just now, it's a family car and lots of miles for work mean i need to balance comfort and looks - hence not really keen to go to 19".  Also would prefer not to get replicas -worried about quality safety....

Does anyone have any thoughts or photos of what the A3/A1 18"would be like on a 2016 A4 Avant??  I'm in Scotland so roads are not the greatest for our potholes etc.

Your time and help is really appreciated!

I think it's A5 that had 18 along with the A7. 

As long as the offset and centre bore is right then you should be ok

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305162335141?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=FezDsNMRSh-&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=IE07kO4STZy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

But don’t forget, the tyre profile would have to be decreased if the wheel dia. is increased. 
Doing this, will compromise the ride quality. 
Are you considering this because 18 inch wheels will look better? 
If so, it’s worth considering that you can’t see the wheels when you are driving, but you can feel the compromised ride quality! 
There are websites which inform you what profiles will be needed when you change wheel diameters. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

On 12/20/2023 at 11:17 PM, bhuman said:

Hi @Steve Q is that a replica?  It doesnt say whether it is genuine or not - but at that price point you would think it was.....

Genuine audi rotors have got special symbols: TUV, VIA, JWL

Just ask for more pictures from back, if it got one of them they're genuine 

• Like 1

The only other thing to consider is choice - 19's are not as prevalent as 18's so the tyre choice may be more limited (and expensive). I had 19's on a 61 Touareg and they were fine but on a car as has been said, they might compromise the ride. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Look at the rating plate with the tyre pressures on (by catch on the drivers side door pillar), this will tell you the wheel/tyre combos that will fit as standard and doesn't knock the speedo out, etc.

If none of these work then go off-piste with calculators and the malarkey.

As for wheels, part numbers, etc - you need to find the parts diagrams online for your car as these will list part numbers for the OEM wheels, obs check with Audi the part number is correct before buying so you get the right wheels.