Timing belt is it good?

Nigel66

Bought 2012 A4 2.0 Tdi Tecknik se 2 months ago and at 72000 miles and was told timing belt has been replaced but no proof in service book but has been serviced every year, on 72000 mile now and Independant garage that has serviced it for years can't help as was on private plate then. Can anyone tell from photos if ok or needs doing? Pics added  

Edited by Nigel66
More info

42 minutes ago, Nigel66 said:

Bought 2012 A4 2.0 Tdi Tecknik se 2 months ago and at 72000 miles and was told timing belt has been replaced but no proof in service book but has been serviced every year, on 72000 mile now and Independant garage that has serviced it for years can't help as was on private plate then. Can anyone tell from photos if ok or needs doing? Pics added  

Hi if you do the sums it should be on its third belt by rule of 80k or 5years, you can't tell by looking at it and Dayco is aftermarket premium the OE is INA, but from my analysis of the photos it doesn't look that new therefore from a personal perspective I would change it absent any documentation to prove otherwise, when you consider the alternative of the repair bill if it lets go a replacement is a lot cheaper.

Steve.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, belt does have Audi stamped on left of writing you can see, I was more worried about little cracks in third photo, any idea of replacement costs? 

11 hours ago, Nigel66 said:

Thanks Steve, belt does have Audi stamped on left of writing you can see, I was more worried about little cracks in third photo, any idea of replacement costs? 

just done mine.front end has to be moved forward.what mechanics call service mode.thats where the cost lies.to make it easier to get to the cambelt.have the auxillary belt and idlers done while they are in there.as they are both side by side.and like steve has said have the water pump replaced for sure.here is mine(ignore the info of the thermostat if you dont need to change yours).

• Like 1

Hello Nigel,

I too would be concerned with the cracks, and would certainly follow sound advice and get it renewed along with the additional components mentioned. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 2:35 PM, Nigel66 said:

Thanks everyone for the help, it's now booked in to get belt, tensioners, water pump and alternator belt done next wk.

Nice one. If front end has to come off, it might be worth looking at getting thermostat done too if it's had to access like mine! 

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump an 'oldish' topic but is there any way to see the belt as per the pictures above without taking anything apart? Just picked up my A4 and the garage said they would change the belt and pump - just wanted to see if it looks like a new one or not!

3 minutes ago, Nigel66 said:

There is a black plastic cover at front of engine think clip on either side then lifts out to see belt. Did get mine done £460 including water pump and coolant flush. 

Thank you, I'll have a check