Won’t start after Cambelt change

Sam1486

Hi all 

did a cambelt change on my 2.0 TDI yesterday, all seemed to go well with locking pins placed and crank locked with the tool. Rotated the crank twice and reinserted the pins to check all ok. Put it back together and it just turns over and doesn’t fire up. I did remove the pipes to the fuel filter for better access, but it should self prime, checked the filter housing this morning and it’s all topped up with fuel. I have a very basic diagnostic machine and it’s picking up no fault codes. 
anyone have any further ideas? 
cheers 

sam

6 hours ago, Sam1486 said:

Hi all 

did a cambelt change on my 2.0 TDI yesterday, all seemed to go well with locking pins placed and crank locked with the tool. Rotated the crank twice and reinserted the pins to check all ok. Put it back together and it just turns over and doesn’t fire up. I did remove the pipes to the fuel filter for better access, but it should self prime, checked the filter housing this morning and it’s all topped up with fuel. I have a very basic diagnostic machine and it’s picking up no fault codes. 
anyone have any further ideas? 
cheers 

sam

Hi remove the return pipe from the rail to    the filter and see if there is fuel being returned if not it sounds like a lift pump problem, but in saying that I think you need an in depth scan on something like VCDS/Snap on to rule outing underlying cause that your existing reader may not pick up.

Steve.

Hello Sam,

Despite the fact that you don’t have any codes showing on your equipment, it might be well worthwhile checking all connectors that you may have disturbed while renewing the cambelt.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Many thanks for the suggestions chaps, turned out I had stuffed up the timing by a few teeth 😱

Stripped it all down again and retraced my steps, timed it all correctly and she started first time. 
Perhaps the cam sensors prevented her from firing to protect the engine (thank goodness) 

running sweeter than ever now. 

cheers 

Sam 

• Like 2