Lag - Hesitation - Delay

CH11

I have a new 2017 S4 which has awful acceleration lag especially noticeable when pulling away from a standing start when you need to accelerate reasonably fast into moving traffic on roundabouts etc to the point I believe it could be dangerous, so in turn you have to wait for a larger than normal gap to pull out in, which then annoys those waiting behind you. I cannot make my mind up if it is throttle lag, gearbox lag or clutch lag or a combination.(I would not attribute the issue to turbo lag) It has been back to the dealer twice now re this  The dealer acknowledges that there is a lag, but does not know what to do about it other than now saying this is normal, they suggested contact Audi customer service each time who in turn said take it back to the dealer.The dealer then said call Audi customer service again and now report it as gearbox lag which I tried to do but they are not responding to calls or emails.   I have since been in a new S5 which has similar engines and gearbox's and also appears to have a similar lag issue.Before this car I owned a 2014 B8 S4 which was really good with no issues at all so I am totally disappointed with this car.

Has anyone else noticed this issue with B9 platform Audi's.

• 4 weeks later...

I would say keep pestering them! My mum has an issue with her gearbox and the manufacturer was denying there was an issue or that similar issues had been highlighted on other models. 

Needless to say with all then pestering we were right and the car had to have new synchro son gears 1st, 2nd and reverse as well as having a new clutch. The problems have all been resolved. 

What audi should be doing is getting their technicians to drive the car daily for them to see the fault. And if the dealer has admitted their is a delay then your best course of action would be to book it in and get a car from them to use in the mean time. 

Cheers

steve 

Thanks I am always learning and with such a powerful engine I would expect no lag at all, weird that it seems to be this engine on other cars with the same lag issue.

Came across this once on a V8 C5 engine it was eventually tracked down to a faulty sensor - crankshaft position sensor. So basically at set off, the timing was way out causing a big lag in power delivery and then was compensated for by the anti knock sensor. The techies should be able to sort this on VAG Com, surely?

• 1 month later...

I have a 2016 A4 1.4TSI 66 plate.  Although no where near the power of the car your driving, i am experiencing the same issue. Its at the dealers just now who say the audi tech that tested the car cannot replicate the fault. 

Sorry but that does not surprise me at all, AUDI are in total denial that any issues exist, I have even tried dealing with Germany but they put you back to Audi UK who are a bunch of wasters, I only live 10 mins from their head office and they are not even willing to look at the car or issue, I have found evidence from their correspondence that the report from the dealer was not detailed either, this was found by some answers that passed back to me I.E have you di not dsay it had the same issue in manual mode, When the dealer tested the car I was sat by the so called technician so I ensured he drove it in all modes including manual, He even admitted the fault to my and the salesmans face then senior persons said the car dealers usual ''Its a characteristic of the car''. the issue requires more people to complain to dealers re lag  especially when pulling away, in the S4 and S5 case I now believe but am not certain that it is a gearbox issue.  Also see  https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/audi-s4-and-s5-sales-halted-new-engine-software-tested

13 hours ago, CH11 said:

Sorry but that does not surprise me at all, AUDI are in total denial that any issues exist, I have even tried dealing with Germany but they put you back to Audi UK who are a bunch of wasters, I only live 10 mins from their head office and they are not even willing to look at the car or issue, I have found evidence from their correspondence that the report from the dealer was not detailed either, this was found by some answers that passed back to me I.E have you di not dsay it had the same issue in manual mode, When the dealer tested the car I was sat by the so called technician so I ensured he drove it in all modes including manual, He even admitted the fault to my and the salesmans face then senior persons said the car dealers usual ''Its a characteristic of the car''. the issue requires more people to complain to dealers re lag  especially when pulling away, in the S4 and S5 case I now believe but am not certain that it is a gearbox issue.  Also see  https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/audi-s4-and-s5-sales-halted-new-engine-software-tested

Interestingly enough there is a quote in the comments at the end of the article describing others complaining about hesitancy.  I just noticed today that the drive mode in my car has been changed from individual to dynamic.  Dont notice any difference in lag though - turned into a hill today and put foot down to give a little extra gas to get up the hill - no response from the car for about 2 seconds i reckon, then it picked up fine.  Wont lease another of these cars.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree there is a problem. 2 second delay every time pulling away from standstill. Sometimes it has actually left me in the middle of roundabouts thinking s**t in going to get t boned!!

• 10 months later...

Just over a thousand miles in and I'm getting suspicious of my 3.0D Avant Sport (auto)for the same reason.  Pulling away from rest, (autostop "off", so not waiting for it to restart) Foot off brake and gently on to throttle to ease into traffic.  Short pause, so just have time to think to self "more throttle" -  foot down harder and it all happens at once....  Not very intuitive - or safe.

May just be me  getting used to it. Can't tell whether it's engine management or gearbox management. 

Sorry to hear you are experiencing the same problem. I just think its a design flaw (I even remember my 3.2 tt doing it). I feel it's just the time the car takes to process what is happening. The car thinks "Foot on acelerator and..........oh wait, the driver wants to move!" I just hope you don't have the same amount of problems I have experienced with this truly woefully put together car.

It's interesting isn't it. I have a 2017 B9 A4 Avant 3.0 TDI Quattro auto - it's a gorgeous car, ample power, well built and almost too quiet (can't hear any engine growl). But it has this fundamental flaw. Like others on this thread, I have exactly the same issue and it's frightening when it happens. I've tried every one of the gearbox modes and it's still there, though it isn't every time. The only workaround I've found is to flick the gear lever over into manual as I approach the roundabout but then I inevitably forget I've done it until the engine screams at me to change gear. The garage told me it's because I was driving in Economy mode. Really...?? And as for the auto stop-start which activates before the car has fully come to a stop...

• 2 weeks later...

Update another thousand miles on:

(2018 3.0 TDi Quattro Sport Avant , so 218ps  not the 272 engine, but auto)

There is a noticeable lag when pulling away from a standstill.  With engine running and park brake off, in Drive - but any mode - foot off brake, gently on to throttle, revs rise but nothing happens for just long enough to think "more revs" and press harder - at which point it pulls away and all the power comes in suddenly.  Appears to be gearbox management, not engine.

The rest of the time it's fine:  overtaking, kickdown, whenever.  Smooth, quiet, feels well-planted and the quattro system feels as if it could defy all the laws of physics in a wet corner.  

Shame about the take-off....

• 1 month later...

Another update, end of August 2018 :

(2018 3.0 TDi Quattro Sport Avant , so 218ps  not the 272 engine, but auto)

After a bit of discussion with the business manager at the supplying dealership, I was told that Audi does in fact now have a (not very well publicised) fix for the problem.  Took it in and they did something arcane to the gearbox mapping algorithm.  (Took them a couple of hours, and only certain technicians are allowed to get that deep into the system setup)

There is still a very slight hesitation at take-off from standstill (I wouldn't have noticed it if I wasn't being hyper-critical), but the lurch that I used to get as the power came in has gone, as has the slight lurch when accelerating gently from a steady speed.  Seems like a win!  (Thank you Leicester Audi  for trying harder....)

Hi Dave - that's really great news that you've managed to get something sorted. Mine's going in for its 18,000 mile service in the next fortnight - would you be happy to share the name and contact details of the Business Manager who dealt with the issue? That would be very useful for me to have when discussing it with my local dealership.