new member returning to Audi

ceefox

Hi All 

new forum member so be gentle :) returning to Audi family after many years absence, previous Audi ownership includes Audi GT coupe 5 cylinder - just about the best car I ever owned 30 yrs ago and started my love affair with Audi, followed by a couple of company cars - 100 saloon; Audi Avant estate x 2 ; 80 saloon; 80 Estate then I went off road for a bit and Land Rovers filled the void and drained my bank account followed by BMW never again !! ...Anyway after a lot of searching I have just bought a lovely 63 plate SQ5 Graphite Grey, 18k miles and lots of toys, really cant wait to pick it up :):) ... photo doesn't do it justice :( more pics will follow 

I would be interested to hear other forum members views about insurance backed warranties as I am considering indy dealer's RAC Platinum warranty to cover any mechanical Electrical components not subject to wear and tear... therein lies a whole hotbed of challengeable issues, however, I do want to make sure the vehicle is properly covered, so should I ignore indy dealer RAC warranty and subject car to Audi and go for their extendable warranty, or should I save myself £800 squid and take a chance ? 

Also we have a beautiful Audi A5 coupe for sale,  as my son is selling his  2 yr old Audi A5 S line Black Edition Plus 24k miles £23k or v near offers and it is mint, anyone interested 

image1.JPG

Welcome to the forum Colin :) 

youll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

lovely looking car you have there! :) 

in terms of the warranties you have to be really careful. And read the small print as I have found a lot of them aren't worth the paper they are written on! 

After working in a Volkswagen service department I have some contact with rac warranties. I found they would only consider a claim if the car had broken down at the side of the road and had been recovered. 

So basically if your EML came on for instance and the car was still drivable then you wouldn't be covered by the warranty. That was a real life example I dealt with. 

An aweful lot of these warranties don't cover electrical issues. And unfortunately electrical issues are very common nowadays due to all the stuff crammed into cars. Sorry if im stating the obvious or telling you how to suck eggs! 

Hope iv helped :) 

Cheers

steve 

• Like 2

Hi Colin...welcome to the Forum

It's a difficult one....Warranties are okay as long as it is defined as a failure and not relating to wear and tear...so electronics are mostly covered but virtually anything else can wear with use over time....read the exclusions before signing up is my only advice.

Good to have you onboard

Cheers,  Trevor

• Like 2

Welcome back from the dark-side Colin. Wish I had 23k!!

My advice with a warranty is make sure the car 100% actually qualifies for it. If it doesn't they will not pay out even though you have a policy. I had one on a van, because it had missed 2 services i.e., had them late in a previous ownership they would not contribute to an autogearbox rebuild. They where happy to take my money for the years cover though!!

Just be cautious, that's my only advice.

• Like 1

thanks guys for good advice and tbh after speaking with dealer Saxtons 4x4 who assure me they have negotiated a special deal with RAC Platinum I have dipped toe in water and taken a 1 yr  based on the garage backing me up if I run into difficulties with RAC...naive...;);) very likely... £800 lighter ...certainly :( ...but I feel the car is covered and  with only 18k on the clock and full ASH I reckon if something goes wrong I have a good position to argue from. Lets hope I am not posting on this forum about this soon wit Egg on my face !!

Hello Colin,

I find that these should I, shouldn't I, debate about these things might eventually boil down to finding opinion which agrees with what we really want to do. If spending on a warranty - which may or may not pay out, and who knows until the claim is raised - eases the mind, then that is the way to go, for that particular individual. It becomes peace of mind for doing something, and no doubt that is important to you, and that is all that matters. A totally different approach is likely from others, who quite rightly point out that the devil may be in the detail. 

Enjoy the car,

Kind regards,

Gareth.

23 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Colin,

I find that these should I, shouldn't I, debate about these things might eventually boil down to finding opinion which agrees with what we really want to do. If spending on a warranty - which may or may not pay out, and who knows until the claim is raised - eases the mind, then that is the way to go, for that particular individual. It becomes peace of mind for doing something, and no doubt that is important to you, and that is all that matters. A totally different approach is likely from others, who quite rightly point out that the devil may be in the detail. 

Enjoy the car,

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth 

absolutely agree which is why Im a few squid lighter, I've been the no warranty will pay as trouble raises route with my last car - BMW 530 touring M class and tustve forked out about £4k in the last 2 years so will run with this warranty and see how it performs, I hope not to require it but if situation arises I will keep forum informed. 

See you are down in Cardiff my old hometown :) 

• Like 1