Brake servo restricted

Stevie84

1 hour ago, Logges said:

So glad I found this forum and topic. Issue came up for us and brakes felt funny so called the aa. They had this issue on thier books as a regular fail and towed the car to audi as it shouldn't be driven. Now audi are holding us ransom for £480 to fix the brake servo fault.... Totally speechless. Apparently the work will take 1 1/2hrs..... Car 4 months out of warranty. Pretty annoyed since this appears to be a very common fault. Even the parts guy said yes we've done loads of these recently. I don't see how this can't be a recall.... Anyone had luck arguing this is a small job after watching the YouTube video??? 

What really surprises me is the dash message saying the car can be driven. This is totally Incorrect...... 🤷‍♂️ 

It takes 5 minutes to replace the brake servo sensor, at least another 5 to clear the fault. They charged my pal 660 to do the work on his car. I personally replaced mine by myself and I am certainly no mechanic.  They are rip offs!! 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Deco said:

It takes 5 minutes to replace the brake servo sensor, at least another 5 to clear the fault. They charged my pal 660 to do the work on his car. I personally replaced mine by myself and I am certainly no mechanic.  They are rip offs!! 

Hi well done just shows you what a little research and logical thinking produces, I am glad it goes down as another potential victim of the stealers has escaped, damn fine post.

Steve.

Hi guys, new to the forum. Had this brake servo fault come on in my 2017 Audi S5. Only bought the car in December from Audi used approved so still under the used approved warranty. Called out Audi assist, they sent the AA, chap plugged the reader in and it came up with 8-10 fault?!! Is this normal? Are they all linked to that one sensor? 

I will be calling up Audi on Tuesday after the bank holiday weekend. But that has got me really worried. 

any advice much appreciated!

1 hour ago, 2017S5 said:

Hi guys, new to the forum. Had this brake servo fault come on in my 2017 Audi S5. Only bought the car in December from Audi used approved so still under the used approved warranty. Called out Audi assist, they sent the AA, chap plugged the reader in and it came up with 8-10 fault?!! Is this normal? Are they all linked to that one sensor? 

I will be calling up Audi on Tuesday after the bank holiday weekend. But that has got me really worried. 

any advice much appreciated!

Just get it booked in with them. At least it's under warranty. Might just be the sensor buy worse case scenario you'll need a new servo. 

2 hours ago, FADEC said:

Did the AA fix and then clear the faults? Did you drive with the brake warning on?

He advised to get it booked in with Audi for them to run their diagnosis on it. Brake servo restricted warning came on yesterday as I was leaving work. Drove approx 5 miles just to get home. 

i will book it in with Audi fingers crossed it’s only the sensor playing up!

2 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Just get it booked in with them. At least it's under warranty. Might just be the sensor buy worse case scenario you'll need a new servo. 

Thanks Steve. Booking it in with them as soon as they re open, hopefully not a long wait. 

I’ll post the outcome on here 

6 hours ago, 2017S5 said:

Thanks Steve. Booking it in with them as soon as they re open, hopefully not a long wait. 

I’ll post the outcome on here 

No probs. Yes please keep us posted 🙂

So glad I found this forum as I knew an Audi dealership were going to have my eyes out This happened to me (my car is parked up every 3 weeks for 3 weeks due to work) "brake servo restricted" & "start/stop fault" warnings on the dash, and every so often feels like the abs is coming on when braking, found a sensor on eBay £20 it is either a genuine part or a very good copy, watched the YouTube clip and had the job done in 5 mins - warning messages have disappeared so touch wood "alles in ordanung" as the Germans say. Recon I possibly save a few hundred quid, cos you know it would have been an hours labour for finding the fault and another at least for replacing the sensor, and gods knows how much they would have jacked up the pric of the part thanks again.

4 hours ago, Bri H said:

So glad I found this forum as I knew an Audi dealership were going to have my eyes out This happened to me (my car is parked up every 3 weeks for 3 weeks due to work) "brake servo restricted" & "start/stop fault" warnings on the dash, and every so often feels like the abs is coming on when braking, found a sensor on ebay £20 it is either a genuine part or a very good copy, watched the YouTube clip and had the job done in 5 mins - warning messages have disappeared so touch wood "alles in ordanung" as the Germans say. Recon I possibly save a few hundred quid, cos you know it would have been an hours labour for finding the fault and another at least for replacing the sensor, and gods knows how much they would have jacked up the pric of the part thanks again.

Glad this forum helped you 🙂

Hi, I picked up my Audi 2016 2.0 TDI Avant today from a non Audi dealer.  I got the Brake Servo restricted message momentarily but it hasn’t come back. Stop start was working fine, drove about 150 miles since the message appeared.  Is this warning supposed to stay on permanently or does it come back from time to time.

13 minutes ago, Rich867 said:

Hi, I picked up my Audi 2016 2.0 TDI Avant today from a non Audi dealer.  I got the Brake Servo restricted message momentarily but it hasn’t come back. Stop start was working fine, drove about 150 miles since the message appeared.  Is this warning supposed to stay on permanently or does it come back from time to time.

The message should stay on permanently.

If the message has popped up briefly and disappeared, then my guess is that it won't be long before it fails.

Get a replacement sensor now and keep it in the glove box ready to replace once it does go.

You don't want to be in a position where you are too far from a dealer to get the part or you have to wait days for it to be delivered - driving too long with the error message will brick the ABS servo. Better to spend the £80-ish (assuming if you go for a OEM part) now or a few thousand £'s later!

• Thanks 3

Hi all

I’m new here having come across this amazingly helpful thread after getting the brake servo  and start / stop warnings this afternoon.  I have a 2017 S5 with approx 37k on the clock.  

The car has been used regularly and the brake servo warning appeared soon after leaving home.  I carried on because it said I could continue driving.  Shortly afterwards, when braking, I felt the ABS engage and the start / stop warning came on.  I continued to my destination and back home afterwards without incident (around 15 miles or so).

All I can say at the moment is that I’m really glad I’ve found this thread.  I won’t be driving the car until I’ve attempted to replace the pressure sensor.  Just hoping my local Audi dealer has the part in stock, as it looks like simple job to do myself.

Just want to say thanks to everyone here for sharing your experiences and helping others resolve the issue, hopefully before it becomes a major expense!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Deinhardt said:

Hi all

I’m new here having come across this amazingly helpful thread after getting the brake servo  and start / stop warnings this afternoon.  I have a 2017 S5 with approx 37k on the clock.  

The car has been used regularly and the brake servo warning appeared soon after leaving home.  I carried on because it said I could continue driving.  Shortly afterwards, when braking, I felt the ABS engage and the start / stop warning came on.  I continued to my destination and back home afterwards without incident (around 15 miles or so).

All I can say at the moment is that I’m really glad I’ve found this thread.  I won’t be driving the car until I’ve attempted to replace the pressure sensor.  Just hoping my local Audi dealer has the part in stock, as it looks like simple job to do myself.

Just want to say thanks to everyone here for sharing your experiences and helping others resolve the issue, hopefully before it becomes a major expense!

You're most welcome, glad this thread helped 🙂 the most up-to-date part ends in a letter b 👍

14 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

You're most welcome, glad this thread helped 🙂 the most up-to-date part ends in a letter b 👍

I just phoned Yeovil Audi.  They said the part listed for my car was 5Q0906207 (no suffix).  I explained what I had learned on this thread and the guy looked into it and confirmed the part number variants and interchangeability.   Luckily, they have one (a -B part) in stock which has been put aside for me.   The chap did say they had received a few requests for these parts.  I just made the suggestion that the warning message "You can continue driving" was a little misleading and should say "Contact workshop immediately".

Part prices have gone up this month though - it's now £87.38 inc VAT - but still a small price to pay compared to ABS repair.   I'll be attempting to fit it myself tomorrow with the aid of the useful information provided earlier in this thread and fingers crossed the problem will be solved.   Wish me luck 😀

58 minutes ago, Deinhardt said:

I just phoned Yeovil Audi.  They said the part listed for my car was 5Q0906207 (no suffix).  I explained what I had learned on this thread and the guy looked into it and confirmed the part number variants and interchangeability.   Luckily, they have one (a -B part) in stock which has been put aside for me.   The chap did say they had received a few requests for these parts.  I just made the suggestion that the warning message "You can continue driving" was a little misleading and should say "Contact workshop immediately".

Part prices have gone up this month though - it's now £87.38 inc VAT - but still a small price to pay compared to ABS repair.   I'll be attempting to fit it myself tomorrow with the aid of the useful information provided earlier in this thread and fingers crossed the problem will be solved.   Wish me luck 😀

Glad this thread helped and glad you got the part ordered 🙂 you'll be back on your way in no time 👍

2 hours ago, Deinhardt said:

Bingo! I agree 100% and i said the exact same thing to the parts guy when I picked up my part 2 weeks ago!

He also had a number of people come in for the same part.

I think we should all contact Audi customer services and tell them that they need to update the warning message on the dash because it is incredibly misleading!

Very glad I found this thread because I have the same message on my 2017 2.0 tfsi A4. It's done less than 15000 miles. I have a cheap code reader that is picking up no codes. Has anyone sourced this part from anywhere other than Audi. A quick search results in a lot of hits for non Audi parts (it's not as if the original part is super reliable)

You can easily pick up brand new parts on eBay.

Prices range from around £10-80.

I can't say if the cheaper parts are any less reliable than OEM parts

Replaced my sensor this afternoon. It took less than 5 minutes thanks to the useful video on here. 👍

Servo error cleared straight away, but I had to start the car again to clear the start/stop error.  Then took the car for a decent test drive and all appears ok, although the start/stop did not activate... Maybe conditions did not suit.

I got prices for this part from both Skoda and VW as I thought it worth a try, but in both cases, they cost slightly more, Skoda were dearest, around £7 more than Audi. Bit of a surprise

3 hours ago, audi999 said:

Very glad I found this thread because I have the same message on my 2017 2.0 tfsi A4. It's done less than 15000 miles. I have a cheap code reader that is picking up no codes. Has anyone sourced this part from anywhere other than Audi. A quick search results in a lot of hits for non Audi parts (it's not as if the original part is super reliable)

Glad this forum helped you 🙂

13 minutes ago, audi999 said:

I got prices for this part from both Skoda and VW as I thought it worth a try, but in both cases, they cost slightly more, Skoda were dearest, around £7 more than Audi. Bit of a surprise

That is very surprising! 

Not sure if this is allowed but here is the part I got off eBay "parts for German cars"  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A4-B9-50-TDI-Brake-Booster-Pressure-Sensor-5Q0906207-5Q0906207A/234133225811 looked no different to the part I removed. Yes I understand it could be a very good Chinese copy, but the add does they do not use these. UK based and 2yrs warranty, part arrived in 2 days. Also found the part on Amazon for £12.99.