AUDI A3 SPORT TDi 2008 DIESEL - Advice on price to sell

Ambivalentangel

Hi all, I hope this is ok to ask as this is my first post.

First of all, I cannot drive so have very little experience of cars apart from things my dad taught me and through ex's who drove. 

Unfortunately my Dad passed away suddenly last year (he was only 59), and I've ended up with his car. The car is beautiful and really well maintained, but as I'm not yet driving, and it has an engine size of 1968cc (a bit much as a beginner car), I really need to sell it.

I have checked around online and the prices really seem to vary, so as Audi owners I was hoping some of you would be able to give me some advice as to a good price to sell it for.

I currently have it on a SORN, and the MOT runs out in Dec. I plan on putting it through another MOT early in November to help with the sale. It shouldn't have any problems as it's hardly been driven since my Dad passed, apart from to keep the battery topped up.

Also as a non driver, I don't yet have insurance on the car. When people come to test drive it, I'll obviously have it tax and tested, but do I need insurance or will the test drivers have the necessary cover?

Thanks in advance 😊

• Like 1

Emma.

There is no way one can value your car without a lot more information, plus an inspection, plus a test drive. Sorry but "beautiful and really well maintained" is not enough. The value will depend principally on condition, age, mileage, and service history. I suggest you get it inspected by the AA or RAC, who are probably going to be the closest thing you can find to independant assessors without vested interests.

At 13 years old it is getting a bit long in the tooth, so be prepared to be disappointed by its value.

Hello Emma,

I’m sorry to hear about the sad loss of your Dad - particularly at such a young age. 
I don’t want to pry into your personal circumstances, but I think it could be wise to think about whether an extra £1000 or so is more important than a relatively hassle free disposal of the car. Only you will know. 

Yes, you can technically tax the car at any point at which it has a current MOT, although you will need to transfer ownership into your name to be able to tax it. Given that DVLA are currently under pressure, the issuing of a V5 may take some weeks, so (probably?) this should be done sooner than later. I place probably in brackets, since it adds another owner to the car’s history, and it might be better overall to leave the current V5 as it stands. 

Although you can tax the car without it being insured, it is a criminal offence not to have insurance, and there is obviously no way you are going to get insurance cover for it. Re. MOTing the car, you will need the MOT station to collect it, and deliver it back to you. 
Even if you did tax the car, it would be illegal for anyone to drive the car even if they have an ‘ entitled to drive any car not owned’ cover on their policy - the car itself has to have an insurance policy in force. The only way in which this can be legally driven is by someone who has motor trade insurance. 

If I was in your situation:- I would search eBay and say Autotrader etc. and get a range of asking prices for similar age/mileage/condition models, and select an acceptable price from this range of prices. You will need to reduce this price to take into account the fact that prospective buyers cannot road test the car without trade plates.

Cars which come to the market due to such unfortunate circumstances, are frequently sold to friends of family members, by canvassing the fact that the car has to be sold. Wonder if you have investigated that route? 
Possibly some points which may help Emma, but if you think the forum can help further then please let us know.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 2 weeks later...

whatever you get, it'll be more than in London. Here your A3 diesel 2008 would be worth little as you'll have to pay a daily charge of £12.50 to drive it within the A406!