Buying a used 09 Reg A3

Eric555

Hi all,

I'm in process of buying a used A3.budget is tight around £4k,it's going to be a daily car for the city and I only do around 4k miles per year.it needs to be petrol and auto.

so I've seen a 09 Reg A3 1.6 SE,only 1 previous owner with full service history,looks clean and looked after,but millage is 100k.the seller is asking £4k which is too high imo but would you say it's a good buy at £3.5k? what makes it appealing to me is FSH and 1 former owner.I'll appreciate your opinions.

also the car had it's cambelt changed 6 years ago and has done another 45k miles since then,is it time to change that cambelt? 

My advice would be to look.at YouTube buyers videos. The mileage isn't a problem as long as it's been fully maintained. Unfortunately at the age mileage it's due another cambelt and water pump change I believe as it's every 5 years or 120k which ever comes first. 

4 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

My advice would be to look.at YouTube buyers videos. The mileage isn't a problem as long as it's been fully maintained. Unfortunately at the age mileage it's due another cambelt and water pump change I believe as it's every 5 years or 120k which ever comes first. 

Thanks for your reply,

what do you think about the price? (assuming it's well look after and in good condition),it's the first time I'm buying an Audi and can't figure out what's the right price for a car like this.

13 minutes ago, Eric555 said:

Thanks for your reply,

what do you think about the price? (assuming it's well look after and in good condition),it's the first time I'm buying an Audi and can't figure out what's the right price for a car like this.

Hi unfortunately used cars are commanding strong money at the moment as the majority of buyers would rather buy second hand conventional cars rather than the monumentally over priced second hand Hybrid of   which no one knows their useful service life.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi unfortunately used cars are commanding strong money at the moment as the majority of buyers would rather buy second hand conventional cars rather than the monumentally over priced second hand Hybrid of   which no one knows their useful service life.

Yes I'm aware of current used car market price increases,but I was just hoping to get some opinions if this car is worth this price now or not,as I need a car urgently..

Hello Eric,

Apologies if this appears to come over as opinionated, but the strong vibe I’m getting here is that you think the seller is charging £500 too much for the car, and you are looking for advice on whether the car is worth the asking price.

Unfortunately, I cannot see you are going to get sound advice on this since no one on here has seen the car to appreciate its true condition, and the ‘valve for money’ can only be judged by a thorough inspection. 

As Steve says, it’s now a seller’s market, so if it is what you want, and you can afford the asking price ( with some in reserve for yet undiscovered issues) then you either choose to buy it, or look for another one for sale at £3,500. Sorry Eric, but it really is as simple as that - unless the seller will offer you something off. 

To me, guide prices are just that, and for me, a cheap car is just that, and one in superior body and mechanical condition becomes far more attractive and worth a premium. Only you (and/or a paid-for independent inspection) can truly evaluate what the car is worth  -  to you (in caps). 
It is worth noting that condition is remembered long after the price has been forgotten! 
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 
p.s. My view with cambelts:- change every 5 years irrespective of mileage. 

• Like 1

As Gareth said, only somebody who has inspected the car can give a realistic valuation, so I shall offer no opinion on what you have seen, except to say the car is worth whatever somebody will pay for it. Only you can say if it is worth £4000 of your money. I get the impression it is not.

• Like 2

We have two A3 autos in the family, one 2006 and one 2015 and both have / are serving us well. The main items that have caused problems are:

Rear wiper motor failed on two occasions

Engine management light coming on, cased by the cat convertor not performing, cause being too much town driving and a good 20 min run always clears it

Spurious lamp failure warning lights, still not totally sorted but thought to be the rear number plate bulb holder

Two doors failing to unlock form remote key, not yet sorted but the door actuators are not working.

Brakes very 'snatchy' now partially solved by thorough cleaning

Air conditioning compressor failed and replaced (expensive)

So my advice is to thoroughly check the operation of everything you can that is electrically operated and take note of all the previous comments in this thread.

I don't think the price is totally OTT, your gut instinct is very often the best guide.

If you do go ahead then you will enjoy a motor that should last for years.  Best of Luck!